Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to boot from Disk drives - Windows 7 Ult SP1 x86

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hi

For any of 3 different CD / DVDROM drives (all working fine on other computers) - they spin up, and are detected by the BIOS, but there is no option to boot from any of them after POST with a Windows Disc inserted, for the PC with Specs below. Have tried other Windows discs

- Any ideas on what cause of this may be?

SPECS:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
  • Avast Free
  • Windows Firewall
  • Custom
  • Intel E6850
  • ASUS P5N-D
  • 4Gb Corsair DDR2
  • 2 WD 500GB SATA2
  • MSI 560 Ti OC
  • Creative X-Fi extremegamer
  • Antec Quattro 1KW
  • Coolermaster RC832 case

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

My first impulse would be to replace the CMOS battery...IME, when strange things start occurring with system configuration/BIOS and all was well before...the CMOS battery is my first suspect.

Louis

#3 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ok thanks.

I have the motherboard manual for P5N-D, but the location of the CMOS battery isn't clear, and I can't see iton the mobo currently.

- Can you advise where it is?

Regards, dev00790

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

In your motherboard manual...there should be several diagrams showing connections internal and external for the board.

To connect the control panel, you had to look at this diagram.

The CMOS battery should be reflected on said diagram, along with CPU location, RAM slots and every necessary connection.

On most boards I've had, the CMOS battery is down near the RAM modules or control panel connections...it can be easily overlooked if calbles are covering it :).

Louis

#5 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

I didn't need to find the CMOS battery in the end - I changed some settings in the BIOS such as "loading setup defaults" and that worked.

Thanks for your help - learnt some useful info.

Regards, dev00790

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Nice work...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users