Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen at Login

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jlilly88

jlilly88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hello. So this is actually from my friend's computer and account, since I can't access my own to get my account info (including related to e-mail info to recover account log-in). Some of my information behind my problem is lacking, because I wasn't around for when part of it (presumably) started but I'll cover what I can. [I'm also hoping that this is the right (sub)forum, and if it isn't, I'll request to get this moved.]

I have a Windows XP, and I've had problems with it before (that I've posted here on my own account), but I ultimately had to back-up all my stuff and wipe/reinstall everything (which was quite a bit earlier this year). I haven't had serious problems since then, and whatever I can think of that may help as information, I can also grab from my old thread (if I can remember my account name).

A couple of days ago, I left my grandmother to use my computer and told her to shut it down (by simply using shut down). When I returned home and tried to boot it, it was mostly normal except for a somewhat lengthier Windows logo screen, but when it should have shown the log-in screen, it was simply a black screen with my mouse (which I was able to move). I tried using ctrl+alt+delete, escape button and finally just shut it down improperly/cold boot/held down power.

When I tried to boot the computer again, it gave me the option of booting in Safe Mode, etc and I chose Safe w/Networking first, then the same process and tried Safe Mode next and also Normal Mode. The only option I did not choose was Safe w/Command Prompt. I gave up after and tried at it again today, and also tried the Last Good Configuration option, but nothing has changed anything.

Before trying to boot it, I was trying to replug in the usb for my tablet and thought maybe I messed something up that way, but even after removing the cover and looking inside, everything looked clear and we tried booting it was only the monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in.

My grandmother told me today she tried to shut it down how I told her to, but it didn't shut down (I don't know how long she waited or what else it could have done as she waited for it), so she tried logging out and then shutting down.

I can't imagine what the problem would be, but there have been a couple of things lately with the computer I notice. I'm going to list them as supplemental information, but I'm not sure if it will be any help.

• For about a month or so, I haven't been able to get Malware Bytes to work. It used to be that it would tell me to update the database, but whenever I clicked the bubble or even just tried to start MBAM, it wouldn't boot (I may have even made a thread about it when the problem first occured on my actual account). I contacted them about it after making a thread on their forums, but they never got back to me and I didn't bother with the problem anymore.
  • A few weeks before or after that issue, I had a few more problems with my tablet than usual. When the computer boots and would log-on, sometimes I get the messgae that there's an error with the tablet driver, but they didn't happen a majority of the time and I was used to having tablet problems for years.

That's about all I can think of. I'll supply whatever other information I can (and also see if my grandma can remember any other details about the computer before and during the shut down).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by jlilly88, 31 July 2013 - 01:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users