Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran dskchk now getting no bootable devices error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lclark20

lclark20

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

My friend brought over her Dell Latitude d600 running XP because it wouldn't connect to the Internet. I had the same problem on my computer and worked around it using Firefox so we downloaded Firefox to her computer using the FTP file on Windows Explorer. The Google page came up no problem, but other pages were slow to load or didn't load at all so after trying many fixes in Firefox without success I started googling and one suggestion was to run chkdsk. We did and as it finished step 5 of 5 the computer was quite loud and when we restarted it after the opening Dell screen up popped the no bootable devices press F1 to retry F2 for setup utility. Pressing F1 does nothing and F2 brings the Bios screen. I did notice under hard drive it says none and I am praying this doesn't mean what I think it does! Her husband has some work files on this computer and I don't want to be responsible for losing it. Any advice next step direction anything would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Any advice next step direction anything would be greatly appreciated!

DV6 series are known enemies. Acquire a new HDD for the machine and count herself lucky that the machine boots at all.

Also do some maintenance and clean out the fluff....

#3 lclark20

lclark20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

What is a DV6 series?

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

I apologize for the mistake. I was speed-standing when I posted.

Thought it was an HP....

It does indeed sound like a HDD run amok.

Is there a USB HDD enclosure about to which the drive can be connected?

#5 lclark20

lclark20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Oh no, I don't have anything like that around here.

#6 lclark20

lclark20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I found one at staples for 14.00 do we need to run out and get one?

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Now you know why the first thing I do before working on a system is make a quickie backup of docs and pics, especially if I run across a scenario where I need to run chkdsk.  If you need to run chkdsk, then chances are there could be a hard drive fault on the horizon.

You will need either an enclosure, or a USB/SATA adapter to try and recover data from the present hard drive.  Don't run anymore diagnostics on it, don't boot it up and cross your fingers.  Everytime that hard drive is on, it can be corrupting/losing data.  Pull out the hard drive, hook it up to the enclosure/adapter and hope it is accessible. (<four tries to spell "accessible" correctly)

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 lclark20

lclark20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yes, lesson learned. I am hanging up my amateur computer fixit hat for good! In the end she ended up taking it to a shop and the guy said the hard drive crashed and he could repair it for $100.00. Thank you so much for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users