Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horizontal lines across laptop screen :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tea_cup

tea_cup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hi BC,

A (relatively new) Windows 8 (x64) Toshiba laptop has recently started to get horizontal lines across the screen making it illegible. This happens nearly every time the laptop wakes from sleep/hibernation mode or after being idle for a while.

The screen reverts to normal upon system reboot, so I assume it's software related... Any help/advise solving this problem would be most appreciated!

Tea_cup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum. 

Please post the exact model number of your laptop in next reply. Also enter BIOS setup and inspect whether the lines can be seen from there. Usually you can enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2 during powering on.

If you can post a screen shot of the issue, that will also be helpful .

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 July 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#3 tea_cup

tea_cup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi Anshad, thank you for the welcome and quick response :)

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L855-149.

It was challenging to navigate the illegible screen, when I eventually got a screenshot of the problem I was surprised to find the screenshot didn't show the visual distortion at all. I have included a picture for you instead. The lines also flicker, especially once logged in. Sometimes a big black horizontal line also appears.

Attached File  BC fuzzy screen to attch.png   158.86KB   11 downloads

The lines on the screen were not visible when in the Bios setup. They always disappear upon system reboot. 

Many Thanks,

Tea_cup.

Edited by tea_cup, 01 August 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi

We should first try uninstalling the graphic driver and update to the latest version. Please post the exact model number of your laptop (often printed on the bottom sticker) and i will post the download link to the ltest avaiable version.

#5 marian_g

marian_g

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi. I have the same problem. My model is Toshiba L855-12R with graphic card ATI Radeon 7670m.  This is the picture with the lines  http://tinypic.com/r/ayuip1/5

Those lines dissapears after reboot. In BIOS don't appears. I use the "catalyst suite" downloaded from official site "toshiba romania" http://www.toshiba.com.ro/

(I am from Romania).

Can u help me, pls?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Hi

Please uninstall the currently installed version of AMD graphics driver completely from Control Panel --> Programs first. Now tun the below tool and it will detect and download the latest driver automatically.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/catalyst_mobility_64-bit_util.exe

Also check in the Toshiba support site for a recent BIOS update.

http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=EU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users