Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows recognizes 1.99 Gb out of the 16 I installed...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 okiemarine

okiemarine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I had Vista 32 bit when I upgraded the RAM from 2 Gb to 16 Gb. I was told by a friend that Vista 32 bit only recognizes 2 Gb, so I upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit. The computer STILL only recognizes 1.99 Gb. 

I'm not sure what other information is needed from me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

***EDIT***

8 Gb of RAM, not 16... 

Edited by okiemarine, 30 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

32-bit Operating Systems only have a total of 4,294,967,296 (4GB) worth of addresses that can be assigned. Some of the hardware in the system itself needs some of those addresses as well as the RAM on your video card. The total of of these addresses is subtracted from the total 4,294,967,296 addresses that the system can address. What's left over are the addresses that can be used for system RAM.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 30 July 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#3 okiemarine

okiemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

I understand what you're saying, but going off of that, shouldn't the computer at least recognize 4 Gb of RAM?

#4 Moamen

Moamen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hi,

first and foremost, the 4gb limit is in reference to the memory limit not ram limit. As such, things such as gddr gpu memory are inclusive of this figure. Whatever remains of this limit is recognized as ram.

to fully utilize the ram installed on your PC you must upgrade to a 64-bit operating system.

#5 okiemarine

okiemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

So what you guys are saying is that 2gb is the max my computer will utilize unless I upgrade to a 64 bit OS, correct?

#6 Moamen

Moamen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users