Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Tower Light Turns On but Nothing Else

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gorgod

Gorgod

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I recently purchased a new graphics card to replace my old and outdated one. After installing it and turning it on it didn't work, but then I realized that my psu did not meet the requirements of the graphics card (GeForce gtx 650 ti). So I promptly removed the graphics card and put in my old one, but it still did not turn on and only the pc tower "on" light appeared. No fans, humming, nothing. This made me believe that I had shorted out my power supply by turning it on with the graphics card in, so I bought a new power supply as I needed one anyway. I returned home, installed the power supply, and STILL it would not turn on. not only that, but i cant turn it off by pressing the power button on the tower, i have to turn off the power. i had the same problem with my laptop a couple months back, and that resulted in me buying this computer, but with that it seemed like a problem with the motherboard. I opened up the case and started it and saw a green light appear on the motherboard when I turned it on. Does this rule out the possibility of a damaged motherboard, because frankly that's the only thing that I could think of that would be wrong with it. Any ideas?

Edited by Gorgod, 30 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moamen

Moamen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

Most quality PSUs have protection against overloading, as such you would have to be extremely unlucky to have overload damage.

It is highly likely(Hopefully) you have knocked a cable loose during the installation of the motherboard, i suggest you make sure everything is properly connected. Specifically, 4pin power connecter near the top left and the 24pin connecter middle right.

At this stage if that failed, i'd just like to confirm what exactly is occuring. After you press on, does nothing turn on? No fans, no beeps, no noise?

#3 Gorgod

Gorgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

Most quality PSUs have protection against overloading, as such you would have to be extremely unlucky to have overload damage.

It is highly likely(Hopefully) you have knocked a cable loose during the installation of the motherboard, i suggest you make sure everything is properly connected. Specifically, 4pin power connecter near the top left and the 24pin connecter middle right.

At this stage if that failed, i'd just like to confirm what exactly is occuring. After you press on, does nothing turn on? No fans, no beeps, no noise?

That's correct, no sign of life whatsoever except the light on the tower and the light on the motherboard. Also, I checked the two motherboard power connectors and they are securely locked in from what I can tell

Edited by Gorgod, 30 July 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#4 Moamen

Moamen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Unplug everything except the CPU/HSF, PSU, 1 stick of RAM, and the front panel power switch. Connect your monitor to your onboard video. Everything else can be disconnected.

If you still cannot get to the boot screen or atleast hear the pc turning on, the motherboard is most likely dead.

Also failed to mention, might want to check the cable that runs from the power button to the motherboard, should be somewhere in the bottom right. Just incase ;)

Edited by Moamen, 30 July 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Gorgod

Gorgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Unplug everything except the CPU/HSF, PSU, 1 stick of RAM, and the front panel power switch. Connect your monitor to your onboard video. Everything else can be disconnected.

If you still cannot get to the boot screen or atleast hear the pc turning on, the motherboard is most likely dead.

Also failed to mention, might want to check the cable that runs from the power button to the motherboard, should be somewhere in the bottom right. Just incase ;)

Still no luck- what i don't understand is how the motherboard can be dead when the light still turns on

#6 Moamen

Moamen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

So you detached everything as stated and still no powerup, beeps or noise? I really did mean everything, pull out the gpu etc

If you are sure that everything is properly connected at this stage i'm inclinated to say the motherboard is dead.

The motherboard light is irrelevent unfortunately, The motherboard LED is tied to the small, always on, 10 - 15 watts, standby power supply. It has nothing to do with the functioning of the main power circuits that run the computer. About all it means is the the PC is plugged into the wall and the PSU switch is on.

I hope you understand.

I have been looking into your problem though and want to try something else. Just for the sake of it. Try a hard power reset, unplug the power cable and then press the power button, then plug the power back in and press the power button as soon as possible.

Edited by Moamen, 30 July 2013 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users