Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Drive & IE8 on XP Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 w411

w411

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Having two issues with Google Drive that may or may not be related. 

IE 8 has been reset to all default settings (with the exception of the LastPass addon enabled in the screenshots, but I also tried the same steps without enabling it)

When I browse to drive.google.com I get a security warning:

Attached File  01.JPG   83.32KB   10 downloads

When I choose "no" in the dialog box I get the following:

Attached File  02.JPG   82.65KB   10 downloads

When I choose "no" a second time I get the following:

Attached File  03.JPG   63KB   7 downloads

If I choose yes, I get reprompted over and over with the security warning.

The second issue, is when I try to either install the PC version of Google Drive via "Run" or download it first and run I get the following error:

Attached File  Error.JPG   46.72KB   7 downloads

Have done some searching and don't see anything obvious, anyone have any ideas?

MSE is running and definitions are up to date

MB was downloaded and updated with a full scan

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2013 - 03:05 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Just out of curiosity, I tried running the installation program via Chrome and there were no errors at all.  That doesn't make sense to me seeing as I actually downloaded the installer and tried running it independent of any browser.

Blame Google for compatibility issues with MS, or blame MS for not allowing XP users install anything beyond IE 8 . . . take your pick.

#3 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Google discontinued support for Internet Explorer 8. Here is a post regarding the issue: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33864

At this point, your installation of Chrome or an installation of various other browsers will be your only option in accessing Google's Drive service. Good luck!

My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#4 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the information, you would think the smart thing for Google to do is detect the browser version and display a simple notice stating that IE 8 is not supported . . . considering every user could potentially be a Google consumer.

#5 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Actually, I just noticed that post was specifically for Google Apps and not the PC version of Google Drive, when I go to the system requirements for Drive there is no mention (nor should there be for the PC based installation of Drive).  The system I browsed to that page on was using IE 10 and I was prompted that the browser isn't supported.

Also, when I go to drive.google.com from the system with IE 10 I get prompted to upgrade to a modern browser.

Edited by w411, 30 July 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Google discontinued support for Internet Explorer 8. Here is a post regarding the issue: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33864

They may have discontinued support for IE8 but Google Chrome still works.

I use IE8 on my WinXP and my Vista laptop and they work pretty good even though you get the occasional error not responding. I hate IE9 so I don't bother with that one even IE9 stops responding.

You may be better of using FireFox as it will quickly import all your favorites.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users