Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will bleepingcomputer tools install toolbars like ask/avg?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 H.A.V Aravinda

H.A.V Aravinda

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Will bleepingcomputer tools  install toolbars like ask?
 I have never seen when i use them. but two users from the answer.microsoft community , confirmed they are asked to install these third party toolbars...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/will-bleepingcomputer-tools-install-toolbars-like/c76f09cc-6925-4e27-8214-4b5ec1ff35f3

I have been recommending users to use this bleepingcomputer, tool as i have found this tool is realy useful in removal of browser settings hijack .

But at this point I have certainly a doubt... Like to hearing from this community....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

What "bleepingcomputer tools" are you referring to?

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 H.A.V Aravinda

H.A.V Aravinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Vagulus replied here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/has-anyone-found-out-how-to-rid-ie-of-the-curse-of/48f9c478-b052-43a7-b3d5-1ab23bddc310

adwcleaner tried to install ask ??

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hello,

No, currently none of the tools and applications offered at BleepingComputer come bundled with toolbars or the like. AdwCleaner removes Asktoolbar and similar toolbars that are commonly bundled with software installers, it doesn't install it. :) 

I just verified the download and I can only guess that the poster at Microsoft Answers has confounded it with another tool.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 H.A.V Aravinda

H.A.V Aravinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

May be i too believe.. and i have been using these tools to remove browser hijacks .. But i have never come across such crooked thing before... I just need to confirm that..... i was little bit vague because this user has also stated that it tried to install avg...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_vista/what-is-httpaddoubleclicknetadin8667798/0489b5d1-82e8-4c71-b3ea-945a1ed5810e

that comment was currently unavailable due to some reason

Origenal comment was "Itried the eHow solution first.  I was able to bring up the task manager, but DoubleClick wasn'y listed under processes.  I went into regedit but none of the files they listed were there.  I downloaded Hitman 3.7 and it found no threats, beepingcomputer wanted to download an AVG toolbar without asking if I wanted it, so I didn't bother with that.  What really bothers me is MSE had proven to be inadequate in the spyware/adware department.  Whatever this thing is it's buried to deep to find and I may be stuck with it."

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

We have been approached many times to include installers or toolbars with our downloads and I always say no. That answer still stands, BC will never take someone elses tool and wrap it with a toolbar or other installer to make money. This is not the experience we want, betrays the trust developers put in us to host their files, and thus this is WILL NOT ever happen at BleepingComputer.com.

With that said, some of our tools are mirrored from a developer's web site. If they include 3rd party tools in their freeware and do not alert us, then I unfortunately have no control over it. So far this has not happened, but if we were alerted to it and they are not obtrusive and easy to opt out of, we would allow it. If its deemed scammy, we will no longer host their files.

#7 H.A.V Aravinda

H.A.V Aravinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thanx for the update.. I will convey this message/thread, for the users...those who are having such doubt.. thanx once again.....As i have initiated this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/will-bleepingcomputer-tools-install-toolbars-like/c76f09cc-6925-4e27-8214-4b5ec1ff35f3

I will update the thread including this link too... but for the time being, there is a connection issue with ms answer forum...

Edited by vijanaka85, 30 July 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Also make sure they are clicking on the download buttons and not mistakenly on an ad.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Many toolbars and Add-ons come bundled with other software as a common practice by legitimate vendors and some folks like the features they offer.

In fact, many Anti-virus and security vendors bundle toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This typically is the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button.

avast! Free Antivirus includes Google Chrome pre-checked by default during installation
Avira Free Antivirus includes Ask.com Toolbar pre-checked by default during installation
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition includes AVG Security Toolbar - AVG Secure Search pre-checked by default during installation
SUPERAntiSpyware includes Google Chrome pre-checked by default during installation
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Adobe Reader need you to UN check a box or it will install Chrome

http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Google Toolbar and Google Chrome

Google_banner_225x66.png

Yes, install Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer – optional. (32.11 MB) Install Options

Edited by boopme, 30 July 2013 - 07:46 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

BTW, Calendar Of Updates maintains a more comprehensive list of software bundled with unwanted add-ons called the:
Installers Hall of Shame.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users