Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATT/Yahoo/Firefox email not working--whose glitch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Laugesen

Laugesen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

This is the 3rd forum I have addressed, without success so far, to rectify or at least identify the problem. I have been running FF 2 on my Win 7 laptop; until a few days ago all functioned normally, including the email. I don't recall downloading anything other than Snagit 11 recently.

The issues:  I can open my email "client", new emails do download BUT

• I can't open any folders (other than inbox); can't even "compose" new emails.
  • normally I can easily delete any or several emails, using the individual, trash can icon or "delete", Not now--can't delete any.
  • Once I open any given email, links work if any but then I can't revert to Inbox.  Can't delete, so only way to close is clicking the X on that email's tab (which is a normal procedure
  • when I click "Actions", the gear wheel icon merely spins--no connection.

Attempted solutions:

• Re-started FF in safe mode.  No change.
  • Disabled the graphics accelerator.  No change.
  • Ran Malwarebyte AV: nothing found.  Ran Spybot: found and deleted only one item (can't recall now, but not marked as a virus).  No change.
  • RE-set FF.  No Change
  • Ran System Restore, to the only one restore point listed.  Message came back as unsuccessful because some un-named file could not be accessed (??). Followed suggestion and disabled my AVG; ran Sys Restore again--twice.  No change.
  • As of this writing I have downloaded the latest FF, 23 beta 10.  No change.

One forum suggested disabling extensions and plug-ins.  I have only one operating extension, Dashlane, which I downloaded some time ago with no obvious problems.  Plug-ins are I think rather standard (Adobe Acrobat  11.0.3.37; various Google--Earth, Talk, Update; Itunes App Detector;3 Mozilla "motive" plug-ins [that do what I have no idea];Picase; Quicktime; Windows lIve Photo Gallery).

The Mozilla help page stated that if the problem persists in Safe Mode then the problem does not involve extensions or plug-ins.

Another suggestion was to dowload an EARLIER version of FF.  I have not yet tried that.

At this point, lacking any concrete analysis or solution, especially from Mozilla, I am thinking to download another browser (Chrome?) and delete FF altogether.

I should add that this problem does NOT occur on my Ipad, running Safari.

Thanks for any constructive advice!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Laugesen

Laugesen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

that was a typo in my post:  I was running FF 22, not "2" before; 23 now.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

I would first try another browser on the computer. Whether that is IE or whether you download Chrome (no need to delete FF...you can have multiple browsers installed). If the same thing happens in the other browser, then that strongly suggests it is an issue with Firefox. If you have the same problem in the other browser, then it suggests it is some more "generic" computer issue.

FWIW, I assume when you say email "client" you really mean you are using a webmail "client" as opposed to an actual local email client (such as Outlook). That seems to be what you are saying, but generally people only use the word "client" when talking about a local email client like Outlook.

#4 bellabones

bellabones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hi.

I'm having the EXACT same problem as Laugesen. I've got a dell pc running vista. I use yahoo mail. I enjoy complete functionality using IE, but do not enjoy using IE. It's Chrome that's giving me the trouble...

"new emails do download BUT

• I can't open any folders (other than inbox); can't even "compose" new emails.
  • normally I can easily delete any or several emails, using the individual, trash can icon or "delete", Not now--can't delete any.
  • Once I open any given email, links work if any but then I can't revert to Inbox.  Can't delete, so only way to close is clicking the X on that email's tab (which is a normal procedure
  • when I click "Actions", the gear wheel icon merely spins--no connection."

My problem began on the same exact day. Chrome is up to date. I've tried almost everything Laugesen has tried. I've cleaned out all my chrome history, cache, cookies, etc. I'm not running a single extension in chrome. I've installed nothing (no programs) for many weeks.

I HATE using IE. Help!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users