Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compact Flash card not mounting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm not sure where to put this, so apologies if it's in the wrong area.

I've got a compact flash card from a camera that will not mount / is invisible to the computer. 

I have tried several card readers, two PC's (win XP Pro, Win 7) and a mac.

I've had this happen once before some time ago and I was successfully advised of software / method to try and get access to the content anyway, but sadly my own memory is about as much use as this compact flash memory and I can't remember how!

Can anyone shed any light on where to start? Recovery software such as recuva, Rescue Pro etc simply don't see the drive or see it as having zero content, exactly the same as the last card I had fail that I did manage to recover with assistance! 

Edited by PCPeebrain, 30 July 2013 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

As cards have a know issue to be unreliable (getting better, though) it sounds as if the card is dead....

Try TestDisk on it; if no joy, very problematic, IMO.

#3 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

indeed, I'm a professional Photographer, I usually use Sandisk only and even when dead their rescue software saves the day. This is an assistants card, not a sandisk, can't be seen. I've had it happen once before with an assistants card as I say above, and someone gave me some advice on getting it to be re-mountable, but I'm blown if I can find the info again or remember it!!!

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

If the card doesn't work correctly in multiple computers, I'd assume it's defective. Still, you might want to try PC Inspector's SmartRecovery utility.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 PCPeebrain

PCPeebrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

The problem with Smartrecovery is the same as all the other tools unfortunately - they don't see the card in the first place to search. I need to get it to mount first, which it simply won't. Real shame for the couple who were getting married :(

#6 chenry1205

chenry1205

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

This is an old thread but I want to share the solution I have found.  I had a CF card full of photos from the total eclipse in Wyoming and I was devastated when my computer would not mount it.   I new there are several companies that will recover data from bad memory cards but I never could justify the steep prices.  I got several quotes and was intimidated by the fact all had a high minimum cost and ridiculous max cost, no fixed price quotes.  Continuing to search I found a small company in Germany, Recoverfab.com that was founded by a former employee at a silicon foundry that offered a fixed price going in based upon the capacity of the card.  I found nothing but reviews online and sent my card off.  Once the received it they posted my images on line for download in under 24 hours.  Great experience!  Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users