Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message on startup "Windows failed to start. A recent...."

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rebelroy11

rebelroy11

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is the message I receive- "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

Booting in safe mode, Dell data safe restore, Last known good configuration, and directory services restore mode all relate back to this error message.

I have no created restore points and no system image recovery. Also my computer did NOT come with a windows 7 disk. Which is a crock in my opinion.

When I do Startup Repair, this is the only problem detected in "View diagnostic and repair details"......

Root Cause Found:Failure while setup is in progress.

System Disk=\device\harddisk0

windows directory=C:\windows

autochk run= 0

Number of root causes= 1

I have requested a windows 7 disk from Dell months ago. I received nothing (surprise!). Thinking maybe I input the info wrong, I re-submitted a request today. But I will not hold my breath. What options do I have left at this point? The cost of bringing it to a professional isn't far from the cost of replacing this laptop as it is. I will be thankful for any help or advice!

Edited by rebelroy11, 30 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hello and Welcome

Being that this is a Dell computer, have your tried booting into the Dell Diagnostics by hitting the F12 key when you first turn on the computer and then running a diagnostics on the hardware, especially the hard drive to make sure its not failing.  If the hard drive is failing it will have to be replaced before a repair can be done.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 rebelroy11

rebelroy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hello and Welcome

Being that this is a Dell computer, have your tried booting into the Dell Diagnostics by hitting the F12 key when you first turn on the computer and then running a diagnostics on the hardware, especially the hard drive to make sure its not failing.  If the hard drive is failing it will have to be replaced before a repair can be done.

Yes and no problems were found.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Does this computer boot into Safe Mode?

Most computer manufacturers no longer supply installation discs.  Instead the make a second partition on the hdd known as a recovery partition.  This resets the operating system to the condition is came out of the box.  This is one opiton, but the down side is you will lose everything else which has been added to this computer since you first started using itl

Another option is to make a recovery disc to access the recovery console where you will find tools which can help resolve this problem.  Take a look at this website.

What is the model of this Dell?

Because of the nature of the error message it would be worth finding out who the manufacturer of the hdd is.  Once this is know I can provide a link to their website where you can download a diagnostic tool to determine the condition of the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rebelroy11

rebelroy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Most computer manufacturers no longer supply installation discs.  Instead the make a second partition on the hdd known as a recovery partition.  This resets the operating system to the condition is came out of the box.  This is one opiton, but the down side is you will lose everything else which has been added to this computer since you first started using itl

Another option is to make a recovery disc to access the recovery console where you will find tools which can help resolve this problem.  Take a look at this website.

Because of the nature of the error message it would be worth finding out who the manufacturer of the hdd is.  Once this is know I can provide a link to their website where you can download a diagnostic tool to determine the condition of the hdd.

Its a Dell Inspiron N5030.   And when I try to boot in safe mode I get the same error message. I have no problem losing everything I've added. Thank you.

#6 rebelroy11

rebelroy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Also the instructions on the link you posted are impossible for me to follow being that I can't get windows to load. Step one is to open windows 7. Thanks though!

Edited by rebelroy11, 30 July 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Before you do anything, you need to pull the hdd out to see who the manufacturer is so you can use their diagnostic tool.

Most all manufacturers provide a diagnostic tool which downloads as a ISO file which can be burned to a disc and the computer then can boot from that and run this scan.

Edit:  The disc you make will be a bootable disk.  At worst you will need to set the CD/DVD-ROM as the first device in the BIOS boot order, and the hdd second.  You will need to make the download and burn the disc from another computer since yours will not boot.  This is true for the diagnostic tool as well as the recovery disc.

Edited by dc3, 30 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rebelroy11

rebelroy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Before you do anything, you need to pull the hdd out to see who the manufacturer is so you can use their diagnostic tool.

Most all manufacturers provide a diagnostic tool which downloads as a ISO file which can be burned to a disc and the computer then can boot from that and run this scan.

Edit:  The disc you make will be a bootable disk.  At worst you will need to set the CD/DVD-ROM as the first device in the BIOS boot order, and the hdd second.  You will need to make the download and burn the disc from another computer since yours will not boot.  This is true for the diagnostic tool as well as the recovery disc.

Ok thanks. This will be new to me so I will read more in to it. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users