Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hey guys,

I wanted to make sure I was on the right path. I'm working with a doctors office and they need their computers upgraded to windows 7.  They do have a small server (not sure of the specs yet), however I wanted to know the best way to install Windows 7 into an office of 9 computers.

I was thinking I'd need to back up all the computers just in case, use easy transfer, and put windows onto the network drive so all the computers will have access to it (so I won't have to carry the disc to each computer).

Should Easy Transfer make it possible to restore everything they had on XP to Windows 7? Also how long does a single computer upgrade normally take? Finally, how many Win 7 discs should they  need to purchase? As I understand it each Win 7 disc has 2 or 3 licenses attached.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

You are going to need to know the RAID level being used with this server.

If you aren't familiar with RAID Wikipedia has a good tutorial to get you started.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm familiar with RAID. At the moment the doctors office is a small one, and from what they showed me on my short walk-through it is a single desktop. I'm not even sure if they have RAID my friend. In the event I cannot use their server I guess I'm stuck with doing it one by one like the olden days lol.

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

You will need to buy 1 Windows 7 license per machine that is being upgraded.  For example if you upgrade 9 computer, you will need 9 licenses.  Each computer needs its own license.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

If they are using a server I can't believe believe they don't have a RAID array.

One avenue you may want to look into is a volume license.

If these computers are connected by a network you can install the operating system to all of them at once.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

It was a quick walkthrough of the building so I was unable to actually go into the server. Yes I was thinking of a volume license as well, but MS makes it really difficult to get one. If I do go that avenue wouldn't I need to still back up data and use easy transfer since they are on currently on XP?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

They have a volume licesne for a upgrade from XP to Windows 7.  Yes... MS can lead you to believe you don't need to wait for the sun to set over the yard arm to enjoy a liquid libation.  They are almost as maddening as Samsung telling me that there is a communication problem between my router and my Blueray player, and then tell me that my free amount of time is up and am I willing to pay for the information. :censored:

I can't wrap my head around the idea of a modern business having a server but not using a RAID array so that they will not lose the operating system and their data in the event of a hdd failure.

#8 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Ha! Yeah they can be quite frustrating! I'll definitely get more information on their network setup and post some updates. I'm just glad to know I was at least going in the right direction. Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users