Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot/Has Steady Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Satoshi Tomoe

Satoshi Tomoe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

I posted a few days ago in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" thread, since my problems started after removing the Department of Justice virus from my computer, but I'm beginning to think it was all just coincidence this happened at the same time. I'll post my original problem, so you can have a history of what led up to this:

"Yesterday, my computer was infected with the Department of Justice virus from Youtube. After doing some research, I followed a tutorial that said to start the PC in Safe Mode, and type in "rstrui.exe" to prompt the System Restore to start. I selected a date that was just before my infection. When my computer restarted, I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and it came up with a clean report. I tested out various things, and everything seemed fine on my computer. I shut it down for the night with no problems. When I went to start it up today, however, the computer will not respond. Pressing the power button does absoutely nothing. I have tried unplugging the tower, waiting, and plugging it back in for various amounts of time and while holding down the start button, but nothing has worked. None of the fans go on, no sounds are made, and the only light that is on is in back of the tower underneath the main power cord. I'm completely stumped at this point, and have no idea where to turn for a solution. I have many files on my computer that I didn't get a chance to back up, so I'm hoping I can at least access and save them to my flash drive."

Since then, I have followed many guides from various website forums and HP Support, but it seems something may be wrong with the motherboard. The PC has a steady supply of power (the green LED light goes on when the power cord is connected to the back of the tower), which I've checked with the "lamp test" and connecting the power cord directly to a near-by outlet without using the surge protector. When the power cord is inserted, the LED light is on, and if I listen closely, I can hear a faint hissing sound from around the area near the back fan and the power cord. When I take out the power cord, the light goes off and the sound ends. I've gotten out as much dust as I could from inside after removing the side panel, and checked to make sure everything is securely plugged in to the motherboard and other points of entry.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas, or anyways to test something else, I'd gladly appreciate it.

I'm running WIndows Vista on a HP Pavilion a6010n. I'll post some specifics, so hopefully they can help someone out:

Motherboard: P5LP-LE (Leonite)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

Memory: 1GB

Video Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Hard Drive: 320GB

Power Supply: 250W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users