Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I found this board via Krebs on Security...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_agnosis1975_*

Guest_agnosis1975_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

...and I took that as a recommendation :)

I'm a bit rusty on the BB/forum thing so bear with me - it's been a good ten years.

I'm in Auckland, New Zealand and I currently run Debian Linux on an old Dell Inspiron. I occasionally fire my old PowerMac up but that's mostly for the times I mess up my iPod.

I've owned computers since about 1997. Before that I got to use Apple IIs (that ages me) and Macs through school and tertiary. There were PCs too but they weren't very memorable.

The first computer I bought ran Win98. After that I used Win2k and XP. I switched from Windows to Mac OS X six or so years ago and three years ago I switched to Debian full time.

So there you go. I'm hoping to get a few tips from the Mac and *nix users here for my own machines, and also I'm going to find the Windows material here very useful because while I'm out of practise with Windows people assume I'm "technical" so I end up being the Google user leading the blind...

Cheers :)

~xtian

Edited by agnosis1975, 30 July 2013 - 08:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,682 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi, nice to have a Kiwi join up! Welcome to the forums. :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Guest_agnosis1975_*

Guest_agnosis1975_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Cheers :)

We're not exactly a majority on the interwebs but we make plenty of noise to compensate ;)

#4 RobGlazebrook

RobGlazebrook

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi and welcome. I'm new here too, and run PCLinux on a middle adged Dell Precision. I also have an old power mac and Win 8 PC. Lots of learninng and support goes on from here.

Regards,

Rob

#5 Guest_agnosis1975_*

Guest_agnosis1975_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hey :)

Spice is the variety of... something. No - variety is the spice of life. I was thinking of "Dune" ;)

And yes it's nice to find a good cross section of advice and opinion. I really want to get my Quicksilver networked with my Dell via Firewire... but I'll save that to post elsewhere. And there's no excuse (if you've got the room and can afford the time and electricity) to be chucking perfectly good older gear out when there's all that tinkering and headdesking to be done...

~xtian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users