Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a Hand with my graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nevinr4

Nevinr4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

So ill run you through the whole story. My brother nicked my desktop monitor when I was away so he could use it with his laptop, whose monitor is broken. 

Once I take it back I reconnect it with the blue analog video cable he used without thinking. I later discover that this is connected to the integrated graphics card in my computer.

Previously my computer had been connected through a larger white analog video cable directly into the dedicated graphics card. 

When I booted up with the blue cable connected originally the monitor brought up a black and white screen reading something about switching graphics cards and then brought me to the desktop screen where it asked me to install some drivers for a nvidia geforce 6150 le. I did and quickly realized that this was the integrated card and is incapable of running any video games.

Upon connecting the monitor back to the dedicated card I found the screen to be unresponsive and remains on the self test feature check screen. I haven't a breeze what my dedicated card is called nor can I find it in the device manager or anywhere else for that matter

I am running a rather old dell dimension C521. 

Ask any questions you need to and I will try to answer

any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computers.

Please try the below steps. 

Caution : Touch your hand in an unpainted metal part of the cabinet to discharge static electricity before working inside the system.

:step1: Remove the graphics card from slot and refit it. This will solve any possible loose connection.

:step2: Remove the CMOS battery and replace it with a new one.

remove-bios-battery.jpg

If you are not sure about how to remove the cover, refer the official service manual.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-c521_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

#3 Nevinr4

Nevinr4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Cheers.

Re-fitted the Card....Nothing.

I will look into getting a new battery.

Currently downloading drivers for my graphics card which is a SAPPHIRE HD 4550 512MB DDR3 PCI-E

To see if that is the problem.

#4 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hi Nevinr4,

I suggest you to change the "Primary Video" setting in the BIOS to "PEG" and check if the discrete graphics card works properly.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users