Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem and other related issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

When Time Warner started charging for the use of their modem I decided to look into buying my own equipment.

I purchased the replacement back in December but did not hook it up until Saturday.

The importance of being brief has it's merits. Details of the events and circumstances that occured leading up to the change over and eventually the change back really reveals ( IMHO ) much more than how and why a failure occurred with my modem.

That said, I struggle with being brief.

Maybe there is a way of seperating things out and, like Paul Harvey used to do with his news show: have a segment called: And here's the rest of the story "

This problem(s) that I encounted over the last few days is about several important aspects. Which part is most important is not easy to figure out and choose talk about here. TW hung in their with me, trouble shooting over the phone and then sending a tech for a house call. After switching over to the new equipment:

a Motorola SBG6580 the next chapter of disbelief occured: the new SBG6580 was pitiful!

When I called Motorola to register my new equipment and to ask about the lack of performance compaired to the cheapo rented modem, the women who got my call ( she sounded like she was a stateside person ) tried to educate me about how modems work and that the speed of the modem is set by the provider rather than the manufacturer of the equipment. She told me it was set by something called a "processing file".

Although the speed test revealed that I was getting the speed that I was paying for it was 2/3's slower than the old Docsis 2 modem I had just replaced. When I asked for more help to look into the router settings she informed me that it was a $30.00 fee. What??? I just hooked it up.

So here's the thing as I see it. First, Motorola sold out this division of their company ( in April of 2013 ) to Arris. Arris has a different policy than Motorola for tech calls. It occures to me that each company that changes the standards for anything, in this case tech support on a brand new device, will likely and eventually change the standard for everyone.

Maybe this aspect of my post needs to be discussed in a different forum. But it's a theory that I have and if I can broad stroke the theory I think it may in fact be the root cause of every crazy cost change that puzzles people, ie why is health care so expensive, why is gasoline so expensive, why is food so expensive?

The answer: shroud the truth in stories and deception. Get the underlings to " tell the corporate story " and pass it on as " absolutely the truth you idiot " ( this woman/girl who fielded my call had no interest in knowing what I know. She was only interested in tell me what she knew. The moment that a customer buys that story the pass it on as fact. If I bought her story and passed it on here it becomes one step in perpetuating the lie )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Sorry If I missed it. Did you have a specific Question or just making a statement on your experience?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Sorry If I missed it. Did you have a specific Question or just making a statement on your experience?

Sorry also; i tend to complicate questions with convoluted issues that somehow seems relevant to me.

Question 1: Is modem speed mostly determined by the provider? ( My old Docsis 2 modem blows the new Docsis Motorola off the charts )

2: when a company sells out a division do they need to honor the terms and conditions of the original warranty? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users