Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found a strange file "AM_Delta_Patch_1.115.788.0.exe"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

I have Windows 7 home premium 64bit.  I recently noticed a strange file "AM_Delta_Patch_1.115.788.0.exe".  It was in Windows/Software distribution/download/install.  Hitman pro found it during a scan and uploaded it, but it seems ok with it.  I scanned it at Virus Total and it came back clear there too.

AM delta patch seems to be something to do with MS Security Essentials, which I have but when I do a web search on the exact file "AM_Delta_Patch_1.115.7880.exe" it comes back as a total blank and that is what has me a little concerned.  If the file is harmless then I don't think I have any problems as my computer is running fine.  The file and the folder it was in disappeared briefly and came back and the file is now "AM_Delta_Patch_1.115.988.0.exe"

I have done scans with MS security essentials, MBAM, and TDSSkiller all were clear.

Thanks for any help with this file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Try a Google search for AM_Delta_Patch Win 7.  I think that is associated with MSE updates, maybe?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

That is the name given to the update file for MSE (a Delta Patch is an incremental update), and the version numbering will indeed change. A malicious file certainly could try to disguise itself with such a name, but since you utilize MSE and scans pass the file as OK, I doubt if it's any cause for concern.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

I agree it's an OK file. Note the directory is the same as yours (in Red).

File details of most used file with name "am_delta_patch_1.127.1410.0.exe"
Product: Microsoft Malware Protection
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Description: AntiMalware Definition Update
Version: 1.127.1493.0
MD5: c099b0fcc4977461b291ddb6b6d5bb4a
SHA1: 9b177b2f63859f5a51911f0fa9bd46e3e2eae62f
SHA256: 229e43e8b30dcf5a04f34973954a30c838a923e3a1a3766c0a276b28533c1ea5
Size: 544800
Directory: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install
Operating System: Windows 7
Discovered: June 6, 2012
Occurence: Low - See more at: http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/am_delta_patch_1.127.1410.0-exe#sthash.8M2HfvsC.dpuf

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

I guess the file is ok then.  Thanks to the posters for their replies.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yes
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 papasb

papasb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

i have been infected recently and I have a file with a very similar name on my machine - BUT - it is not signed by Microsoft... further investigation shows that this is not what it implies it is.  Does anyone want me to upload it for it to be investigated?

Edited by papasb, 17 January 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hello, to get a second opinion, submit it to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users