Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just changed AV need advice.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hey,

After many days of thought I have decided to change my Anti-virus from MSE to Avast!

This is my own choice and am currently happy with Avast!

However I was unsure how to uninstall one AV and install another so I'll say what I did and if what i did left me prone to infection.

At first I disabled MSE to prevent it saying Avast! while installing was a virus. I then installed Avast! and got it up and running and then I stopped and uninstalled MSE so it is no longer on my PC.

Thank you,

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

That is fine - I probably would have outright uninstalled MSE and then installed avast - but as long as your Avast in up and running and everything is ok it doesn't really matter the path you took to get to your destination - just that you arrived there safely.

If you disabled MSE, visited a bunch of shady websites and looked for bunch of hacked software then installed Avast - I might be concerned.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 30 July 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

I think the same as AngryRaisin - there's every reason to expect the end result is the same, and I hope you'll be happy with that result. I've found Avast Free very satisfactory myself.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Steps to safely replace an existing anti-virus
  • Before removing your old anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with.
  • Download any specialized removal tools available from the anti-virus vendor for your current anti-virus in case you need them.
  • Disconnect from the Internet.
  • Uninstall your current anti-virus...run removal tools if needed.
  • Reboot and install the replacement.
  • Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.
  • Connect to the Internet and immediately download the latest definition database updates.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users