Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between RAM types: NB3 vs PC3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 apastrak

apastrak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm wondering what the difference is between:

Vision Tek Label 8GB (2x4GB) NB3-12800 CL9 1600 204-Pin DDR3 SODIMM Notebook Memory

• Memory type: NB3-12800 SODIMM
  • Data Rate: 1600 CL9
  • Density Per Module 4 GB
  • 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24, 1.65V, with Intel and AMD support
  • Ultra-high performance for Intel and AMD platforms
  • 2X4GB Dual Channel kit for use in high performance Intel and AMD systems.
  • Lifetime warranty: This DDR3 memory kit is built to last under the most demanding, processor intensive environments, and is backed by a limited Lifetime warranty

and

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory

• 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SODIMM kit for 2nd Generation Intel Core i5 and i7 notebooks
  • Speed: 1600MHz
  • Timing: 9-9-9-24
  • Pin Out: 204 Pin
  • Voltage: 1.5V

The voltage and timing is different.... but would the Vision Tek not also work just as fine in an i5 laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moamen

Moamen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi,

Those ram types you are referring to are in fact RAM Specifications. Manufacturers use these to make components that are compatible with certain chipsets. It should irrelevent in regards to peformance decisions as both pc3 and nb3 refer to ddr3.

The specification of the ram module itself are what is of importance. These are Speed and Time. So once you have made sure that the ram you are considering are all compatible for your chipset you may proceed to pick the best performing based on firstly speed in Mhz and then Timing.

Hope the explanation came across lol.

#3 apastrak

apastrak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hey, thanks! The explanation was perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users