I am an intermediate computer tech. I have been racking my brain over a friends computer which I can't seem to fix.
The device is a Gateway laptop. Initially it was having the following symptoms:
1. Slow boot, hangs at windows logo for 5-10 minutes sometimes.
2. Slow shutdown, 5-10 minutes
**On a fresh install, windows installed almost at full speed.
My diagnosis initial was:
1. Hard Drive issue
2. RAM Issue
3. Driver Issue
So far I have done the following:
1. Swapped with known good RAM, no help, also ran memcheck and left it for 12 hours, no issues reported.
2. Placed the HD in my desktop and booted it, Windows booted in under a minute. I place it back in the laptop - takes forever.
3. Reset all BIOS settings to factory, the disk mode cannot be changed in BIOS.
At this point I have no idea what to think, I also ran chkdsk /r and it finds no errors. I also performed a low level format and reformatted and partitioned everything with a fresh install of Windows 7.
Does anybody have any ideas or tips?