Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow boot/shutdown, fresh install, operation OK

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sombra84

sombra84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am an intermediate computer tech. I have been racking my brain over a friends computer which I can't seem to fix.

The device is a Gateway laptop.  Initially it was having the following symptoms:

1. Slow boot, hangs at windows logo for 5-10 minutes sometimes.

2. Slow shutdown, 5-10 minutes

**On a fresh install, windows installed almost at full speed.

My diagnosis initial was:

1. Hard Drive issue

2. RAM Issue

3. Driver Issue

So far I have done the following:

1. Swapped with known good RAM, no help, also ran memcheck and left it for 12 hours, no issues reported.

2. Placed the HD in my desktop and booted it, Windows booted in under a minute.  I place it back in the laptop - takes forever.

3. Reset all BIOS settings to factory, the disk mode cannot be changed in BIOS.

At this point I have no idea what to think, I also ran chkdsk /r and it finds no errors.  I also performed a low level format and reformatted and partitioned everything with a fresh install of Windows 7.

Does anybody have any ideas or tips? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

:welcome: sombra84 to Bleeping Computer

2. Placed the HD in my desktop and booted it, Windows booted in under a minute.  I place it back in the laptop - takes forever.

I would presume Windows was reinstalled on the desktop, right?

On a fresh install, windows installed almost at full speed.

The format and reinstallation was at normal pace but still slow when booting on the laptop?

Tekken

#3 sombra84

sombra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hi jhayz

I did not reinstall Windows.  I just took the 2.5" SATA directly from the laptop, plugged it into my desktop, booted it, Windows 7 quickly booted, detected new chipset, installed and was just dandy.  No issues  for me this rules out the HDD as the issue.

The format was normal, installation took a bit longer than expected, the copying and expanding archive steps were normal, the finishing installation took 2-3 times what I would expect it too.

Boot and Shutdown are dreadful.  Once the PC is up and running memory usage and processor usage are normal and it operates like normal.

On a side note, I decided to try a Windows 8 install to rule out Windows 7 driver issues, etc.  Windows 8 took about 10 minutes at the installer loading screen, once the installer BEGAN it was perfectly fine, not slow at all, operates normally.  But again, boot and shutdown is slow.  It almost seems like it's having trouble loading data into RAM... however, the ram is known good.

Edited by sombra84, 30 July 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

I did not reinstall Windows.  I just took the 2.5" SATA directly from the laptop, plugged it into my desktop, booted it, Windows 7 quickly booted, detected new chipset, installed and was just dandy.  No issues  for me this rules out the HDD as the issue.

That was odd and kind of unexpected on my part. :scratchhead: Anyway, let's try using this softwares to check on some softwares installed on the laptop.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#5 sombra84

sombra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

I am having a few more symptoms - now with Windows 8 installed, it will not boot.  Black screen during start and a reboot after 10 or 15 minutes.  When I connected the same hard drive to my desktop it boots fine... 

Any ideas?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Not sure where we are heading into this actually. Try removing the hard drive from the laptop and see if it does not exhibit the same symptoms or problems.

Tekken

#7 sombra84

sombra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Not sure where we are heading into this actually. Try removing the hard drive from the laptop and see if it does not exhibit the same symptoms or problems.

With a known good hard drive and memory the issue is still present.

This leads me to believe potential processor damage.  It did have an overheating issue which I fixed, is it possible the processor is damaged and not functioning at full capacity?  It will ocasionally lockup.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

is it possible the processor is damaged and not functioning at full capacity?  It will ocasionally lockup.

The best way I would think, is taking it to a repair shop for a more extensive inspection. A board, CPU, IC, diode is a toss up at this point.

Tekken

#9 sombra84

sombra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks my thoughts too.  I have another client dropping in with another he is scrapping, same Socket S1 processor so I will do some mix and match and see if I can rule anything out.

I don't like to goto other shops since I am outside the USA and they are horrible here, I do small repairs for my employees, etc.

I am actually A+ and Cisco certified, hoping to get more into hardware repair.  I have done some reballing on 360 mainboards, I am thinking of a good way to test motherboards, does anybody have any specific methods? I could easily repair capacitors, etc but I am not sure how to even test a mainboard.

Thanks again

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Read, research for threads and books and more actual applications on different situations. :) Bootable or Live discs and stress test softwares (IntelBurn Test, FurMark, HeavyLoad) are also usable. More online information nowadays are available.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/cpu_ram.htm

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users