Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buck65

buck65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hello all. I have a AD1816 sound card that did work but now it doesn't. I formatted my hard drive and have been having problems ever since. It just would not work so installed an old SIC Resource Super Sound 32 sound card I had lying around and now I get all the Windows sounds (empty trash bin, Windows Loading,..ect) and when I put an audio Cd in the ROM it plays but when I try to play videos it tells me it can't play audio stream because there is no hardware installed or it isn't responding. As for the AD1816 does anyone know where to find an updated driver for this. And as far the sound problem goes does anyone know what this could be? I went to Device Manager and it says: "OPTi Plug-N-Play Sound System" everything checks out
"OPTi Plug-N-Play MPU-401" exclamation mark! When I click on properties it says "This device cannot find any free Interupt Request resources to use (code 12.) The trouble shooter only shows me 3 things "OPTi Plug-N-Play Sound System" I assume the only sound I do hear. "3Com Etherlink XL TPO 10Mb Ethernet NIC" which is I believe how I connect to the internet, and "Trident 9685/9680/9682/9382/9385-1 PCI" which is my Dislay. Can Any one help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

There are a limited number of IRQ's to go around and if you've used them all, something has to go.

If your Device Manager shows the old sound card (or motherboard builtin sound) you'll need to find out how to disable it. This will depend on what the motherboard is.

If the AD1816 was a separate card, make sure it is no longer showing up. Do you know the actual brand name of the card? I'd check the manufacturer's site if you can find it out. Might be Turtle Beach or just about anything since the AD1816 was made under a variety of names.

"3Com Etherlink XL TPO 10Mb Ethernet NIC" which is I believe how I connect to the internet, and "Trident 9685/9680/9682/9382/9385-1 PCI" which is my Dislay.

Correct.

#3 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

Hey Herk, I'm a complete bone head!!! I've been messing with this for almost two days!! What a moron! All I had to do (which I can't believe didn't just jump right out at me) was, and here's where it gets tricky, CHOOSE WHAT DEVICE WINDOWS IS SUPPOSED TO USE! Right there under "Multimedia." Sorry for wasting your time, but a big thanks for your reply. I'll try to be more on the ball next time before posting. For now I'll go give my head a shake! Thanks alot Herk, it really is appreciated. Problem solved!

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

Well, I'm certainly happy that you got it figured out!

#5 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

:thumbsup: Hey...........uh.......Herk? Are you still there? :flowers: It seems I jumped the gun a little bit. :trumpet: Everything works fine but when I try to play videos everything freezes and I have to restart my computer but before it would play certain videos but they just didn't have any sound, now it all freezes. Anyway, any help on this would be great! Also, to get my video card to work I have to remove my printer port which windows loads every time it starts and I then have to go to Device manager and remove it, then it all works fine. Do you know if there is a way to stop Windows from loading the printer port every time? Thanx alot.

Edited by buck65, 20 April 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

I wish I knew what was hogging the resources. Seems as if there must be something that can be disabled or removed. Windows assigns IRQ's to devices, and some of them are assigned by default. You don't have an onboard sound that's still enabled, do you? Or an extra video card? (more than one monitor port on the back - I actually saw one like that yesterday)

It's a common problem for sound cards to interfere with the printer port.

I don't know which operating system you're using, but I'm assuming Win98.

You could print out your system information from Device Manager, but you don't have a printer hooked up . . .

You could print it out as a file using a Generic/TTY printer, but that's a bit much to set up.

Here's a thread that you might get some pointers from. You can use msinfo32 to see your irq assignments, and there are some tips regarding removing ACPI from the BIOS to resolve the conflict that I thought sounded interesting. And the part about moving the card to another slot so Windows will re-arrange the IRQ's. Some of the IRQ's cannot be used - they're hardwired as something necessary, such as IRQ 2 for addressing IRQ's 8 through 15. (Those were added at one point - there used to only be eight) Safe IRQ's are 5, 10, 11, and 15. Eight-bit sound cards need to be on IRQ 5. (Should be obsolete) But you can use IRQ 5 for a sound card because it's otherwise reserved for Printer Port 2 - and who uses two parallel ports?

This is really hard to sort out, but here is some more helpful information.

Plug and Pray, er, Play was supposed to resolve some of these problems, but they're still with us.

#7 buck65

buck65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

Hey Herk, I posted more about my problem in the video/audio section. It seems to be a problem with DirectX, because when I unistalled it my videos played but with no sound and very choppy. When I use VLC and slow the player down it works but it's unwatchable because it's so slow. I just dunno? Tried DirectX 8.1 - 9.0. anyway thanx alot for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users