Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Windows Firewall Features

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikemctx

mikemctx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

After receiving excellent help to remove Malware from my laptop I still have a problem with Network Discovery and File & Printer Sharing.  The individual that helped me with the Malware sent me to this forum as he didn't know how to address this problem.

As long as Windows Firewall is on, I can not turn on Network Discovery or File & Printer Sharing.  Under Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Allow a Program or Feature through Windows Firewall, there are no listed Programs or Features listed.  I can allow another program, but no features (such as File & Printer Sharing are listed).  So far I have tried the following with no success:

1) Restore Defaults

2) Microsoft Fix-it located at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/en-us

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

:step1: Let's try Windows Repair to repair the damage that the infection has made:

Download: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one-portable/

Put it on your desktop and run it. Then choose for (step3) SFC (System File Checker)

step-3-tab.jpg

Next, run start repairs, check the things you would to repair. Let the program make a backup (a system restore point & registery backup) if asked.

start-repairs-tab.jpg

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#3 mikemctx

mikemctx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was expecting to receive an email that a reply had been posted - but I never received one.  I checked the forum and was surprised there was a reply.

I did exactly as you suggested.

Step 3:  Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Start Repairs:  I only selected Windows Firewall.  After completing this step and rebooting it appears that Windows Firewall is now operating correctly.  I can now turn on Network Discovery and File & Printer Sharing.

What further should I do?  Is there anything else I should check?  Assume it is OK to delete the files I saved to and extracted to the Desktop?

Thanks for your help.

Mike (mikemctx)

#4 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

:step1: My advice is to keep your computer up to date with Windows Updates, Java and Adobe Reader and Flash Player.

:step2: Use WOT to inspect sites if they are safe or not :http://www.mywot.com/

:step3: A good working AntiVirus is also important. I personally advice Avast free or Avira. MSE it's detection is not so great.

:step4: Let's check how good your security is:

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#5 mikemctx

mikemctx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

GodfatherKing:

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding each of your items:

1) I keep  Windows Updates, Adobe Reader and Flash Player up to date.  Unfortunately I can't keep Java up-to-date and still do what I need to do as a volunteer at our local church.  I handle programming of 8 HVAC systems for all activities in the church.  The programming is handled through a Honeywell JACE (Java Application Control Engine).  I need to continue running Java 6 Update 32 for the system to continue to work.  I understand that I have some exposure as a result of this.

2) I installed WOT

3) For now I'm still running MSE.  I am the volunteer coordinator for the free income tax program in my county.  I have 100 laptops all with MSE installed on them.  Don't know that I'm ready to load Avast free or Avira on all my machines.

4) I ran SecurityCheck and here are the results.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.71 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 10 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Microsoft Security Essentials  
 Antivirus up to date! 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 
 Java™ 6 Update 32 
 Java version out of Date!
 Adobe Reader XI 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Thanks for your help!

Mike (mikemctx)

#6 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

:step1: Remove the old Java version.

:step2: Install new Java version from http://www.java.com 

Edited by GodfatherKing, 01 August 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#7 mikemctx

mikemctx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the reply, but as I stated in my last post, I will have major problems if I update Java.  I'll no longer be able to turn on 8 HVAC systems when various meetings get scheduled in our church.  We are in Florida and it just doesn't work to have 50 people in a meeting with no Air Conditioning in August.

Unfortunately I can't keep Java up-to-date and still do what I need to do as a volunteer at our local church.  I handle programming of 8 HVAC systems for all activities in the church.  The programming is handled through a Honeywell JACE (Java Application Control Engine).  I need to continue running Java 6 Update 32 for the system to continue to work.  I understand that I have some exposure as a result of this.

#8 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Ok I understand. 

:warrior: Happy and safe browsing again.

#9 mikemctx

mikemctx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks again for your help!

Mike (mikemctx)

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the reply, but as I stated in my last post, I will have major problems if I update Java.  I'll no longer be able to turn on 8 HVAC systems when various meetings get scheduled in our church.  We are in Florida and it just doesn't work to have 50 people in a meeting with no Air Conditioning in August.

Unfortunately I can't keep Java up-to-date and still do what I need to do as a volunteer at our local church.  I handle programming of 8 HVAC systems for all activities in the church.  The programming is handled through a Honeywell JACE (Java Application Control Engine).  I need to continue running Java 6 Update 32 for the system to continue to work.  I understand that I have some exposure as a result of this.

It might be more hassle than it is worth, but you could consider running a version of Windows (or maybe Linux if the Honeywell app will work in Linux) in a VM that then has the appropriate version of Java installed in just that VM. Then, that would allow you to either completely remove or update Java on the machine in general.

Just a thought to toss out there...

#11 mikemctx

mikemctx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

smax013:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike (mikemctx)