Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclock settings failed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chirozon

Chirozon

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Every so often, when I switch my computer on, it almost immediately switches itself off again. No error message; the monitor doesn't even have a chance to respond. After a couple of seconds it comes back on, then switches off, then comes back on again. On the third attempt, it stays on a bit longer, but still switches off shortly afterwards. Fourth time, the thing finally works, and I get a message:

"System has been restored to its default values.
The previous overclock settings have failed. System has been restored to its default values.

Press F1 to run setup.
Press F2 to load default settings and run setup."

I pick the second option. Everything works fine for a while, I can boot up as normal for a few days to a week, and then it happens again. I usually put my computer in sleep mode rather than shutting it down, but either way the same thing happens eventually.

I've never tried to overclock. I've not touched anything in the BIOS since I built the machine back in March. It ran fine until recently.

System specs: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 64-bit.
Processor: Intel i5 3570.
Motherboard: MSI H77MA-G43
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7750.
Power Supply: 700W.
Hard Drive: Hitachi HDT72101.
Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hi

This type of problems can be happened if CMOS battery runs out of charge or get weaker. Please replace the button cell and load the optimized default values in BIOS setup. Check how things works.

cmos-battery-on-mb1.jpg

Also i recommend updating BIOS to the latest version. It includes several compatibility and stability fixes.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H77MA-G43.html#/?div=BIOS

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 July 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#3 Chirozon

Chirozon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Seems like that did the trick. Thank you!

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Glad to be able to help  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users