Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely persistent laptop issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kulahan

Kulahan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

As the title says, I've got an extremely persistent issue with my laptop. If any of you can figure out what the hell is going on, I'll be thoroughly impressed.

First, here's what the issue is:

Whenever I hit the power button to turn the computer on, it'll show the BIOS loading, then it'll do the Windows splash screen (the one where the four different colored orbs fly in to the center and create the windows logo). After that, it goes black to switch to the blue "Windows is loading" screen, but it never gets past that. Instead of loading the blue screen, the screen stays black, the fans keep spinning, and the LEDs in my touch-panel below the screen stay lit, but nothing happens. The screen is on, but it just displays all black (You know how you can see the backlight on an all-black screen that's turned on).

Second, here's when it happens:

Rarely, if I turn my computer completely off

Always, if I have it sleep

And always if I have it hibernate

Third, here's the solutions that happen to fix it short-term (as in enough for one session of use):

Starting in safe mode, then restarting in normal mode occasionally works

Selecting "Last known good configuration" usually works

Restarting multiple times sometimes works

Doing a system restore always fixes it

Finally, here's what I've done to fix it:

First thing out of the way, I've tried updating all my drivers. I've even tried older versions of my video card driver, because I'm fairly certain that's the issue. I've tried installing my programs one by one to see if any of them caused an issue (I haven't seen anything to make me think that's the case yet), and I even got to the point where I tried re-installing the OS (I've done this several times now). I doubt it's a bad image of Win7, because I've installed it on multiple computers (including this one), and run them for months or more with zero problems. Even though it happens when my computer is at room temperature, I've also dusted the whole thing, just to be sure.

Any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate some help. I'm starting to think the hardware might be going bad, but this is literally the only issue I have; wouldn't I run in to some problems elsewhere if that was the case?

Edited by Kulahan, 29 July 2013 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

Have you run CHKDSK /R or the diagnostics routine from the hard drive manufacturer?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

As dicke has implied, this is a hardware issue.  Running chkdsk /r is a good approach, as well as running the diagnostice tool.  The diagnostic tool usually will have a long test and short test, run the long test.  If you post the manufactuere of this hdd I will provide you with a link to their diagnostic tools and suggest which one to use.  To find out who the manufacturer is you can use SIW.  When SIW opens scroll down to Hardware and find Storage Devices, click on this.  A image will open in the right pane with the information for you hdd.  The image will be similar to the one below.

siwhardware2_zps26f789c1.png

Another possibillity could be a bad RAM module or socket.  I would suggest running Memtest86.  The longer it runs the more accurate the results will be.  Some people set it to run before going to bed and check the resutls in the morning, not a bad idea.

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4) Please download and install ImageBurn.

5) Insert blank CD into your CD drive.

6) Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

7) Click on the Browse for a file... icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

8) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

9) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

10) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.  You can use SIW to find out who the manufacturer is of your hdd.  Scroll down to Storage Devices under Hardware and click on it.  The results will appear in the right side pane.  Post the manufacturer and we will provide you with a link to their diagnostic tools.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

Edited by dc3, 30 July 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Kulahan

Kulahan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the update.

Wow, dc3, very comprehensive response! A little hand-holdy for my taste, but I guess it's better to be thorough, right? ;)

As for who makes my HDD, (I used speccy to find out - if you guys haven't heard of it, I highly recommend you check it out!), I have a Seagate. Here's a link to the HDD on Newegg.

I haven't had a chance to run a checkdisk yet (can't believe I didn't think of that...). Anyways, would you guys mind elaborating on why you're so sure it's a hardware issue? I figured if that was the case, I wouldn't be able to remedy the issue by reinstalling the OS or by booting in to safe mode. Do you think it's a bad sector in the HDD or a corrupt location in the memory, or something? The laptop is about 3.5 years old, but I don't think that'd give it enough read/writes to corrupt any space yet. That being said, I don't know the intricacies behind how last-known-good-config or safe mode work, in terms of where they load in to the ram and whatnot.

I'll run those other tests as soon as I can.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Since you have tried to resolve this issue by reinstalling the operating system "several times" and had no success it is pretty obvious that the problem is hardware related.

We have members asking for help with a very wide range of computer skill sets.  The information I provided is written so that it is easy enough for most all members to be able to follow.  Since you are comfortable with working with basic infromation I will simply provide the link to the diagnostic tool.

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

I will only add this, you willl have to click on the I accept button to get the download started.

Speccy is a tool that we have been aware of and using for a long time. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Kulahan

Kulahan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Ah, I gotcha. I was thinking the issue might've stemmed from some change they made to a driver I'm using a few versions ago (and left in since) that was affecting my specific arrangement of hardware. Maybe that's just crazy, though. Haha! :P

I certainly hope you didn't think I was being critical in my response; your post was VERY well written; I'll be recommending my friends to this site in the future. Not many people take the time necessary to write something like this out.

I'll report back as soon as I have more information; my checkdisk is running as I type this, and I'll follow it with a memtest today or tomorrow, depending on how much time I have

#7 Kulahan

Kulahan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

I ran my checkdisk, and there were no errors. For those of you who are curious, here's the results I received.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Kuladisc.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
  389376 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
  220 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        2 EA records processed.                                              44 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
  446750 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
  389376 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Cleaning up 818 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 818 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 818 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  28688 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  37377688 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
  389360 files processed.                                                 File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
  78611493 free clusters processed.                                         Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

475698175 KB total disk space.
 160658676 KB in 126559 files.
     81444 KB in 28689 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    512083 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 314445972 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 118924543 total allocation units on disk.
  78611493 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 f1 05 00 7b 5e 02 00 ef 66 04 00 00 00 00 00  ....{^...f......
10 01 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....,...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

I'll post the memtest results as soon as I get a chance to run them. I have memtest burned to one of my flashdrives as a bootable drive, but that's currently about 2000 miles away from me. I'll be home tomorrow to run it while I sleep. In the "for what it's worth" department, I did run Windows' memory test (from the "repair" boot option), and it didn't find any errors, but I know that's a pretty low-grade test.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

The chkdsk looks good.

I'll be around when you post the results of the Memtest scans.

I stated previously that if was pretty obvious that this is a hardware related issue.  That is not set in stone as there other factors which could be involved, like inappropriate drivers, a problem with the installation disc, etc.  But as a general rule, if a fresh installtion fails, especially multiple fresh installations, hardware is usually the culprit.

Have you run the SeaTools diagnostic?  We need to determine if it has a problem or not.

Please publish a Snapshot using  Speccy to provide us with information to help you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

On a side note.  I didn't think you were being critical, I just wanted to explain that we have members who don't have a lot of experience with computer repairs, so I try to make my instructions clear and concise so that most all members can follow the instructions.  I do appreciate the compliment. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users