Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Desktop startup/running programs slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 median

median

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

AMD Athelon 3200 processor

2 Gig ram

Windows XP Pro

I noticed my machine running slow (it is about 5 years old) and ran SuperAntiSpyWare as well as Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. It's still running slow! I'd like to figure out what the hold up is in running programs, closing programs, loading Firefox, etc. Maybe I just need a new computer? I'd like to avoid that right now if possible and get this thing as fast as possible. Can anyone help?

Thx

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." Buddha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

1) Do you have an anti virus app installed and if so did you also run a scan with that?

2) How does the system run in safe mode?

And age alone should not slow down a computer's performance to any significant extent.

Edited by Allan, 29 July 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#3 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Age alone can, indeed, slow down a computer. The age of most capacitors, specifically non-sealed non-Japanese capacitors, will cause a computer to slow down. The instability caused by ages, swollen, capacitors is usually noticed due to the slowing of a computer. Of course, this may not be your issue, but it is a possibility. An Athlon XP 3200+ processor is fairly old. AMD started producing that processor in October of 2003. Is this the processor you are using? If so, the motherboard may be 8 or 9 years old.

My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

1) Do you have an anti virus app installed and if so did you also run a scan with that?

And age alone should not slow down a computer's performance to any significant extent.

I stand by my statement, but appreciate your comments.

#5 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I stand by my statement, but appreciate your comments.

Really? I think it is a disservice to not inform this user that the capacitors may be slowing him down. Capacitor issues can cause freezing, slowing, failure to boot and motherboard failure.

My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

ok

#7 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members