Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC got wet - dried it - now will not boot up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NYDingbat

NYDingbat

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hello all!

Got my laptop - running Windows 7, well it was anyway - caught in a sudden deluge a few weeks ago - it was only out there for a minute and was still on and working.  I dried it - perhaps doing more harm than good - and at first I could get it into safe mode but couldn't implement the fixes you fine folks provided me as my left mouse button and several keys weren't working. I was going to just replace the keyboard and touch pad assembly, but one of your esteemed colleagues on the hardware side of the house was optimistic, advising that I set it in a warm, dry spot to let it dry - had it there at least 10 days.

Current status - I tried booting it and got the screen with the option to launch the recovery tool - I chose that and the screen was navy blue for about a half an hour.  Just for fun I rebooted and chose the resume Windows normally to see if I could at least get to safe mode.  Welp, I've been staring at the Windows startup screen and logo for about a half an hour as well now.

Is this fixable or should I just hurl on to the burn pile and get a new machine?  (I hope not the latter - I've been unemployed a loooonnnnggg time and couldn't afford it!)

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Edited by Platypus, 29 July 2013 - 07:22 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

my guess is, without being there and actually seeing it, its probably toast. You should be able to salvate the hard drive and memory be my guess, but Im guessing its toast, but it wouldnt hurt to bring it into a computer shop and have them look at it.

In the future, if something like this happens, immediatly power down the machine, remove the battery, dry it off best you can, and let it sit in a warm dry area for a day or 2, before attempting to reboot.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

I was afraid of that.  Ah well.  I'll look around for a reputable repair outfit here.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users