Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Lone Star State

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Why is it that Texans are different to all other Americans ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 29 July 2013 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Who says they are ?

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Who says they are ?

Commonly accepted, even many Americans say so, reluctantly or jokingly perhaps.

To clarify. My question is a compliment, not a snide remark. It is a historic fact that Texans are different in character than the rest of the Union.

Texas is twice as large as the next state in America (California) excepting Alaska.and is also the  second most populated state, California being the first. Texas is also the oil and cattle state of the Union and has more than its share of Millionaires and Billionaires.

Texas had a  hard time extracting their freedom from Mexico by  sheer blood and guts and it is widely accepted that Texans are a very tough breed indeed. Almost every person in my country think Texans are different - there must be a reason.

I suppose I can answer my own question by saying that historical events have formed the Texan into a very tough and independent character. They have gotta be tough to stomach that Tex-Mex  cooking. Nobody messes with Texas or Texans.  I simply wanted others views on this fairly universal impression.

The question is not an invitation to attack me or fire an argument, but an attempt to identify why Texas and Texans are widely  considered different. I greatly admire Texas and Texans.

I can give you ONE BIG reason why Texans are different - See this :-

MostexecutionsUSA_zps42247104.png

Edited by yabbadoo, 31 July 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#4 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

yes. born and bred. with the accent thrown in for good measure.  

and thank you :) your stats are awesome.  taking the compliments too.

#5 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

what I want to know is does everyone still think texans wear spurs and cowboy hats?

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

what I want to know is does everyone still think texans wear spurs and cowboy hats?

Not the spurs anymore, they obstruct the foot on the accelerator of their Mercedes SLS AMG coupé. But those glorious Stetson`s ! They sure are still very much  worn with pride and distinguishes a Texan from the rest. The Stetson is a symbol of Texas, next only to the Lone Star, the Alamo and Davy Crockett. 

Nobody made the Texan Stetson more famous than J.R. Ewing in the epic TV series "Dallas" during the 1970`s.

Whilst not being of Texas origin the Stetson has been widely adopted as an identity of Texas. It is a badge of honour not equalled by any other State in America. You wear a white Stetson, you're a Texan. Yet another reason why Texans are different.

Edited by yabbadoo, 04 August 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

actually last I checked, hawaii sold more cattle then texas. just sayin.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

Funny, I just looked up this ;- http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-graphs/all-cattle-numbers.html

and Hawaii comes in at 42nd place !

They would do better to concentrate on Cockerel production for their Voodoo sacrifices and cock fights.

Edited by yabbadoo, 04 August 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#9 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

"what I want to know is does everyone still think texans wear spurs and cowboy hats?"

"Not the spurs anymore, they obstruct the foot on the accelerator of their Mercedes SLS AMG coupé".

HAHA! You DO know Texans!   

"Not the spurs anymore, they obstruct the foot on the accelerator of their Mercedes SLS AMG coupé. But those glorious Stetson`s ! They sure are still very much  worn with pride and distinguishes a Texan from the rest. The Stetson is a symbol of Texas, next only to the Lone Star, the Alamo and Davy Crockett. 

Nobody made the Texan Stetson more famous than J.R. Ewing in the epic TV series "Dallas" during the 1970`s.

Whilst not being of Texas origin the Stetson has been widely adopted as an identity of Texas. It is a badge of honour not equalled by any other State in America. You wear a white Stetson, you're a Texan. Yet another reason why Texans are different."

And, yes, JR was awesome (RIP Larry). I’m going to admit I watch the new series--hot guys. hot girls. And it's just hot everywhere.  The temps here are nothing to laugh at…we’re talking temps now! 103 degrees with heat index upwards of 110 these days ;)

I don’t have a Stetson, but I do have my dad’s hats.  He loved his hats.  And his boots.  Boots are very important.  Women wear their hats (probably Stetson) AND get married in their favorite boots. And if they don’t have a pair they like well enough, well, they’ll just borrow a friend’s pair (this is true)…white wedding dress and all.

*side note for clarification ~ this girl would not be me, I have boots with heels and leather and all, but not the cowboy kind J

And of course, you have to have really big boots. Right in front of Saks Fifth Avenue.  It’s Texas after all….

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7815

EDIT: Sorry my quote attempt did not work above :( LOL and i can't figure out how to embed a pic in my post here. i think it's cuz i'm still infected

Edited by stolen, 04 August 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

@ Stolen a real Texas gal.

Ya left out that dose Texas gals wid da big cowboy boots and big cowboy hats ride bulls to their wedding.

Bullrider_zps15289f69.jpg

Edited by yabbadoo, 04 August 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#11 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

OMG lol...do NOT get me started on this!!~! ahahahahaaaa but it's so true. ok, growing up, when we went out to a ranch somewhere in the middle of nowhere, miles away from anything... It was hot, and we of course we would go swim. In these big cisterns above ground. I hate to even think what those were for back then. They were filled with water and the cistern was lined with green moss stuff on the inside ...i hope it wasn't for cattle drinking or something idk idk :( LOL

#12 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hey Stolen,

Big cisterns above ground ? Hell Stoley, they were steer dips that the cowpokes use on the cattle for killing off all those damned big ticks you have in Texas, so they don't gorge themselves with too much free beef.

#13 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

LOL and ewwwww!! that is a frightening possibility and probably truth.  Back to big. Texansy like things big. big houses, big cars, big parties.

We like Independence, and when you mentioned the fight for Texas, those values probably carry down through the heritage. Drive your own car, keep to yourself and don't  other bother others.

We don't like toll roads. j/s  We don't want to pay to have em built, we don't want to pay to use them when they are built.  We spread rumors there are massive huge wild hogs running across the toll road that are killing people, so it's not a good idea to use it.  JK JK...not really but i did hear that is happening.  I'm just not spreading the rumor :) 

ok off to the zoo now....or insanity and beyond right? 

#14 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

@ Stolen

Stoley,

Ya perfect. Just keep on being a true Texan and not like the rest of those wimps in other States.A Texan knows what he wants and if he ain't got it, tries his best to get it and if he can`t get it, he grits his teeth and goes without it.

I dunno about the about the lack of response from your other State buddies Stoley, I just reckon they are too daunted by anything Texan to say a word. Texans know what they want and their elected Senators and Congress representatives make sure they give them it. Else it is out on their butts next time.

It is a pleasure to know you Stoley. Just remember that the front of the bull is the end with the horns on, the other end kicks and  craps.

Edited by yabbadoo, 05 August 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Funny, I just looked up this ;- http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-graphs/all-cattle-numbers.html

and Hawaii comes in at 42nd place !

They would do better to concentrate on Cockerel production for their Voodoo sacrifices and cock fights.

let me correct myself, I made a oopsies. theyre not the largest exporter, they just have the largest cattle ranch in the US.

http://www.city-data.com/articles/Parker-Ranch-Kamuela-Big-Island-Hawaii.html

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users