Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 pc running slow/not starting up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mrandrew0

Mrandrew0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

So I have a windows 7 HP laptop. It has been running perfectly since the day I got it a year ago, until last night. I was just watching a locally stored video and the computer froze up. Nothing would respond. I turned the computer off with the switch and went to restart the computer. When it started up it took almost 5 min just to get to the login screen. Usually it takes about 30 seconds. Then when I entered my password, it went to a black screen and sat there for about 5-10 min. It finally loaded up the desktop but everything is so slow its unusable. When you click something, it takes about 30 seconds for it to load whatever you clicked on. I have tried restarting it 2 or 3 times and it still takes 20 minutes to load. I booted into safe mode and that starts up in 30 seconds and everything is smooth. I did a system restore from a point about a week ago and it didn't fix the issue. Still can only boot into safe mode. I am hesitant to do a complete wipe and reinstall of windows of this problem can be fixed. Any ideas or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

The first possible problem with your laptop is thermal events which means it could affect or damage any components from the motherboard, RAM module, hard drive, processor and GPU. See any known repair shop would clean out dust and reapply some paste for the CPU/GPU chip. Newer HP laptops have diagnostic tools that you can run on BIOS section or using special keys to access them in order to test the hardware of your computer. See if any errors are thrown after running this HP utility on RAM, Hard drive particularly.

Tekken

#3 Mrandrew0

Mrandrew0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

I ended up just restoring to factory settings. I'm not sure what the issue was with the computer before. Its working perfectly fine now so I'm assuming it was some sort of software issue instead of a hardware problem. I will also be investing in backup software so I do not have to start from scratch again. All important files were saved luckily. Just a pain to have to reinstall all programs. I have run diagnostics on the pc since getting it back in working order. All tests say that it's good to go.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users