Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc making loud revving like noises, video link inside and details on problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smartiekid

smartiekid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

So around 6 months ago my Computer had started making strange noises, it was kind of like a rattling noise and i thought the bearing in my old PSU had gone

I checked to see if the PSU was the problem, so i put a pen inbetween the PSU's fan and stopped the fan moving while the computer ran, everytime i did this, i didn't hear the noise again

So i bought a new one and it still made the same noise.. i thought it might be my old rusty case rattling when the fan was on.. so i again bought a new case

I had this new case and psu for around 4 months and the problem still didn't go away... So just today my new purchase came in, i thought this time id spend more and get a good PSU and so i bought a corsair PSU

I expected no noise because its a good brand.. but the noise still happened.. im running out of ideas of what this could be.. and quite frankly the cost of constantly buying new PSU's is getting a bit of an annoyance when i could have spent this money on other things

I've thought it could be other things like the cooler fan, or a case fan.. but why would the sound stop when i put a pen between the PSU fan

anyway here is the video of the noise in question:  (VIDEO OF THE NOISES)

really hope someone has some insight because this problem has been constant 6 months and it's really making me want to just throw away the PC i've spent so much money and time on

P.S on the video, the first noise isn't the loud noise, when i bang the computer it makes the loud revving noise, this revving noise happens when i start up and the only way to fix it is to bang the case several times, or turn it off and on till i get lucky..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Sounds like a wire too close to a fan blade. Cable ties are cheap.

Also check the CPU for dust in contact with fan blade.

Edit: Quit slappin' on that machine and use a .45.

Edited by bludgard, 30 July 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I take it the .45 worked? It has always cured my computer woes. Then again I have over 40 years experience with firearms and only a mere few with PCs. I always revert back to my comfort zone....LOLz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users