Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is LAN ip and router ip ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tejaskutal

tejaskutal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

So i had some problem with my router recently
which resulted in wifi disconnection, my pc would
connect to internet, but not my mobile via wifi.
So i did little changes in the router and modem
settings, and it started working. But i dont know
what change, caused it to work hahaha. I want to
know something about ip address. I opened my
network provider settings through 192.168.x.x
then opened LAN settings, and changed the ip
there to my routers, that is 192.168.y.y
and in the routers settings, i guess i entered ip of
my internet provider, and somehow it is working
now.
Though it is working, i need to know what is the
correct way of entering the ip and where ?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuljania

Zuljania

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

I If your PC is wired, go to network and sharing centre - go to the left and click "Change adapter settings". Select the connected LAN, and go into properties, and you can manually configure the IP to whatever IP you want. A class C address I assume, since your examples were 192.168.x.x

But remember wans, and lans are completely different and should not be mixed together with a range of IP's. It will cause confusion.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:30 AM

First we need to know the current setup. What is the model number of your ISP modem and what kind of router do you have? Ideally if you are using the isp's device and a router of your own. The ISP's modem needs to assign you with a public IP address IE 98.30.74.X (Time warner) on your router's Wan port if its not then you need to place the isp's device in bridge mode.  Your routers Lan IP should be set in the 192.168.1.1 (or private)range. If you have the new at&T uverse modem it needs to be placed in bridge mode, the new docsis 3 series from Timewarner also need to be put in bridge mode. If you do not bridge the ISP device you will be doing doing double nat and your ping latency times will be horrible and internet speeds will suffer. Easy fix dont use your own router if the isp provides you with one, or buy your own that is compatible with your ISP and stop paying the rental fee for the modem.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 January 2014 - 03:32 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users