Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup via Cobian

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lady of H

Lady of H

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Hello,

I try to make my first Cobian Backup and get the following message:

Couldn't copy the file "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\System Volume Information\1{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}": Toegang geweigerd

Couldn't copy the file "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\System Volume Information\LightningSand.CFD": Toegang geweigerd

After reading your tutorial about System Restore I wonder; can I ignore this and continue the backup or do I have a problem that needs fixing first?

Lady of H

Btw Toegang geweigerd = Access denied

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Well...any questions about Cobian can probably best be answered at their website/forum.

As for System Restore...I don't think that I would try that, in light of the error message received when attempting to back up.  IMO, any message indicating "access denied" is a cause for concern.  A backup program, one would think...would copy every file that exists.

This appears to be a kn known Cobian issue, see Cobian Backup Errors.

Louis

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

Well...any questions about Cobian can probably best be answered at their website/forum.

As for System Restore...I don't think that I would try that, in light of the error message received when attempting to back up.  IMO, any message indicating "access denied" is a cause for concern.  A backup program, one would think...would copy every file that exists.

This appears to be a kn known Cobian issue, see Cobian Backup Errors.

Louis

Backup programs tend to not be able to backup system files that are "in use". This is why a cloning program (such as True Image) will reboot into some sort of DOS-like mode to complete a full clone of a drive...so that it can also copy/clone the system files. Also kind of the same reasoning as why you cannot disconnect an external hard drive or flash drive if a file is in use, but not exactly the same.

Based upon the paths listed, the files in question are part of the Shadow Copy function introduced in Windows Vista but is also part of Windows 7 and I believe Windows 8. I would assume that they are "system files" that are in use.

So, more than likely skipping them in the backup is fine.

#4 Lady of H

Lady of H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

Hi Smax,

Thx for your reply, it is very usefull. I use Windows XP Pro.

I think the files are in use by RegRun Flashdrive protection and/or an old AVG9 Mozilla Toolbar plugin that I have been unable to remove (I don't use Mozilla Firefox). I did use the AVG removal tool several times to no avail.

Anyway, do I understand correctly that pagefile is the System Restore facility? If so there would be no harm in ignoring them.

Is it a good idea if I should set the System restore on zero. Then make the backup. After that put the System restore back on. What do you think?

Btw of course I did try Cobian first, searched their help files, tutorials and fora. Posted my question there too. I still have to receive an answer. I am truly underwhelmed by their support, so maybe I should try a different backup program all together

Edited by Lady of H, 01 August 2013 - 03:24 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi Smax,

Thx for your reply, it is very usefull. I use Windows XP Pro.
I think the files are in use by RegRun Flashdrive protection and/or an old AVG9 Mozilla Toolbar plugin that I have been unable to remove (I don't use Mozilla Firefox). I did use the AVG removal tool several times to no avail.

Anyway, do I understand correctly that pagefile is the System Restore facility? If so there would be no harm in ignoring them.
Is it a good idea if I should set the System restore on zero. Then make the backup. After that put the System restore back on. What do you think?

Btw of course I did try Cobian first, searched their help files, tutorials and fora. Posted my question there too. I still have to receive an answer. I am truly underwhelmed by their support, so maybe I should try a different backup program all together

The "pagefile" file is actually the system virtual memory file for when the computer using your hard drive to in effect create more RAM when you run out of actual RAM space.

If you are running Windows XP, then I believe the Shadow Copy stuff that you listed at likely restore point files for the Windows System Restore function. In Windows 7 and Vista, the "actual" Shadow Copy function is part of/tied into the System Restore function (you cannot get one without the other). To my knowledge, Windows XP (even the Pro version) does not have the Shadow Copy function (i.e. a hidden versioned duplicate of data files), but I could be wrong.

As to Cobian backup, I have never heard of it before you mentioned it. Thus, I have no experience with it. The main backup program that I have used for actually "backups" (as opposed to cloning or maybe imaging) is Retrospect. It is very robust, but also on the expensive side. I do not actively use it myself at this time, but my dad is using it to automatically backup his computer nightly. I do actively use True Image to clone my Windows boot disks. It will do other backup function, but I have not use those other backup functions myself. I know of at least some people who use and swear by EaseUS Todo Backup Free:

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

#6 Lady of H

Lady of H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thx for your explanation and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users