Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need ideas for new site

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

I have a domain up now (www.shotmycomputer.net)

but I don't know what I want to do with it.

Anyone have any ideas?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Host pictures of people shooting computers? Usually one gets an idea for a website and then figures out a domain that represents that idea. What kind of a website do you suppose that 'shotmycomputer' is?

#3 molly38

molly38

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Are you looking to make money with your site?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Host pictures of people shooting computers?

Exactly what I thought! It could take off... like cats that look like Hitler :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Host pictures of people shooting computers? Usually one gets an idea for a website and then figures out a domain that represents that idea. What kind of a website do you suppose that 'shotmycomputer' is?

Basically I wanted a new kind of definition of computer geek,  not all of us are boring fat men sitting at their computer all day.

Yes I thought about making part of the site just random pics and vids of people screwing up their computers like initech's printer.

I also wanted to have a subdomain for my music too.  I wont be able to make any more until I get my new computer though.

Are you looking to make money with your site?

yes

Host pictures of people shooting computers?

Exactly what I thought! It could take off... like cats that look like Hitler :)

Maybe...

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#6 bluelogic

bluelogic

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

make a computer related meme website. theres lots of free memebuilder scripts available and if it goes well yuo will probably be bought by icanhazcheezburger lol

#7 terlan

terlan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

boobs everyone likes boobs... joking... joking.  Seriously though generally you want a good idea for the site then you build it and buy the domain based on the site design / idea. getting an idea for the domain is kinda backwards but can sometimes work.

IShotMyComputer could work as a tech blog, like  coding horror  or the likes.

Or how about geek orientated holiday website, places tech nuts or scifi or comic fans might wanna visit, hook in with affiliate ticket and hotel sites etc, get the tagline shoot your computer and get out into the world or something along those lines. or failing all that... back to the old standby of pics of boobs.

#8 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

I agree it's backwards - usually, one develops a layout to the site or a simple wire frame with the pages he/she envisions on the site along with some sub pages that fall under those top level pages. Once you have the idea of what you want down pact, you begin research on what other sites like yours have on them, what they look like, which ones are hot which are not, and what kind of domains they are using. Then and usually only then, you make some final decisions to content layout and choose a domain name. Even then, once it's chosen, you normally don't go live with it until all content is up and running on a test server.

However, since you've already put up the domain (but it does currently show as suspended), then you would need to add some informational page until you get up some 'real' content. Like you said, you want to make it about computer geeks. Well tell your visitors that, "This site is the new frequent stop for those 'unusual' computer geeks who don't sit at their computer all day!".

Some interesting photos like suggested, some links to great geek forums (maybe this one too), and then maybe even some protected suggestions boxes. What do I mean by protected? I mean, don't leave them open as a text box without using some sort of background scripting to strip HTML tags from the client side and the server side (to be safer). Some simple choices might help to.

Example:

What do you think of when you read the site name Shot My Computer?

A. Someone who was so badly infected they decided it wasn't worth it and just shot the darn thing!

B. Someone who has had such a bad experience they felt like shooting their computer but decided to get back at in and attack back by learning some great security methods.

C. Who knows, I have no clue what you mean by it! After all, I'm not a computer geek!

#9 Jeff632

Jeff632

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

I had a great experience with Domainki. Built few sites on the site and they look fantastic. It seems that they are reliable and stable. You can try it.

#10 craigbass76

craigbass76

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I've got a hard drive here that I shot.  It was weird.  .22 slugs wouldn't go through it, so we got a .40 and blasted away with that too.  Still no go.  Hard drives would make excellent, but clunky, bullet proof vests.  I have one slug and can fit it in where it hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users