Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmssargent

dmssargent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I have a "gaming" desktop (I built for gaming but barely do any gaming now with it). I think the computer is in need for an extra 4GB. That would mean 8GB of memory, because of how much memory I normally use, the WEI (I know), the motherboard dislikes the current memory, and to improve speed. Another thought is II would like under 85 dollars.

Current Specs:

i5-4670K

Cool Master Evo

Samsung 840 Pro

WD 500GB Black

WD 2TB Green

ASUS Z87-A

GIGABYTE 7870 ?

Seasonic 600W ?

Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87A#support_QVL  Check out what memory has been tested with the board.

Normally I would push  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096 but that isn't sold anymore.  That stuff was the best bang for the buck of any DDR3 out there.  Picked up 6X2 packs of it for $220, and every stick worked, and is still working great.

If I was doing a new build, likely this would be my choice for now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148656

1.35V, good timings, not more I could ask really.  If you can stay at 1.5V or lower mem voltage on an Intel board, it is just better all around.

If you want to overclock memory, then I can't offer advice.  Ever since Sandy Bridge, memory overclocking is something I have not worried with.  That Samsung would crank up to 2000 at 1.5-1.55V from 1600, and that was great.  Too bad it made little difference as far as performance was concerned.  Main thing I worry about now is stability, and does it run cool.  The sweet spot for DDR3 on most systems is 1600-1866.  Above 1866, actual memory performance essentially flatlines as timings have to be loosened up to compensate for the speed. (especially at the ~$80 price point)

You have a "K" CPU so no worries about BCLK or memory keeping up.  How high have you clocked that 4670K?

Edited by dpunisher, 29 July 2013 - 08:46 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 dmssargent

dmssargent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

I just did barely any overclocking since I am using air cooling. I am still new to the Haswell and its capabilities vs my old Allendale CPU. The processor gets kinda hot if I Prime95 it with a good overclock. One question though, what WEI are we looking at on Crucial (it does match the motherboard really well). I also know that WEI is horrible as well, but memory is the only thing keeping me from a perfect 7.9 (Win7). AFAIK Windows bases the CPU and memory score that both of them are dependent on each other. I also have to run the computer in  MemOK! mode which makes the CPU and memory more compatible with each other.

I also had my eye on the following:

KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX

F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users