Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop charger plugged in but not working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tas562

tas562

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

OKay, i have a serious issue. Last week I bought a new battery to see if this will solve the problem, but it didn't.

When i plugin the charger (when it's off) it'll CHARGE WHEN IT'S OFF,

But when it's plugged in and when i turn it on (the computer) the laptop stops charger once i get into the account (into the desktop mode)

I don't know why it'll do that..?

Before this problem has occurred, I was using the laptop for a good whole week, and all of a sudden, this happened.
I don't know what caused this...and i bought a new battery hoping it'll solve it.

I doubt it'll be the charger because why would the laptop work for a good week, but stop?

the laptop is old, it's about 4-5 years old.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

But when it's plugged in and when i turn it on (the computer) the laptop stops charger once i get into the account (into the desktop mode)

What you have posted doesn't make sense.  The laptop is charging when the power supply isn't  plugged in?  But doesn't charge when the power supply is plugged in?

What is the make and model of this laptop?

What is the make and model of the battery?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tas562

tas562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

What you have posted doesn't make sense.  The laptop is charging when the power supply isn't  plugged in?  But doesn't charge when the power supply is plugged in?

What is the make and model of this laptop?

What is the make and model of the battery?

When the computer is off, it'll charge no problem, but when i turn it on, it doesn't charge. So i don't know why it'll do that. But before this happened, i was using the computer for a good week and this happened. So i figured it was the battery because it is old, so i bought one and that didn't solve the issue. 

Laptop is:

toshiba

satellite p205- s6347

battery

replacement ac adapter

mode: ST-C-707-19000342CT

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

So you bought a new battery and new  voltage adapter.

What is the make and model of the battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

I had a problem with my Vista laptop the power icon said not charging. I have a car charger and that was the same so bother chargers couldn't have stopped working.

I Googled this and found that if you go into Device Manager and click on the Batteres + you will see Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. Just select it and press the Delete key to uninstall it. Then click on Scan for hardware changes and it will find it again and my laptop started charging again, this is a glitch of Vista.

I have posted this before on here.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 tas562

tas562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

I've tried that, but i rebooted the machine. Btw, sorry that i'm lagging to provide you the info dc3. I'll reply with the info in a bit.

#7 tas562

tas562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Update: battery info:

rechargeable battery

type: PA3536U-1BRS/PA3537U-1BAS

FOR: P200/P205-X200-203-L350-L350D SERIES

RATING: 10.8V    4400MAH (48WHR)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

That adater is not listed as being compatible with your Toshiba, you can check the list at the bottom of the page here.  The correct adapter is rated at 4.74A, the one you purchased is rated at 3.42A. This could be enough of a difference to pose problems like what you are experiencing. 

#9 tas562

tas562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

hm, ok, but why would the charger work for a good week and stop?

#10 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Maybe it made its time and decided to stop working now.

How can you be sure when something will stop working.

You can use something hardcore and still works afterwards or you may simply use it a few times and it breaks :/

At least this is my opinion - you cannot always explain why something stopped working.

Also as you said its 4-5 years old

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

The reason that it worked for that period of time is because it took that long for the lack of sufficient current to cause it to fail.  One of the byproducts of insufficient current is overheating.  It can generate enough heat to melt the power cord.  This could even damage the voltage regulatory circuitry inside the laptop.

Current is expressed in Amperes, or more commonly amps.  The sysbol for Amperes is A, hence the 4.74A current rating.  You can't use a power adapter which doesn't meet the suggested current rating, but you can use one which exceeds the suggested current rating.

The power adapter you purchased isn't listed in the link I provided you with previously.  You need to make sure that it is compatible with your laptop.

#12 tas562

tas562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

The reason that it worked for that period of time is because it took that long for the lack of sufficient current to cause it to fail.  One of the byproducts of insufficient current is overheating.  It can generate enough heat to melt the power cord.  This could even damage the voltage regulatory circuitry inside the laptop.

Current is expressed in Amperes, or more commonly amps.  The sysbol for Amperes is A, hence the 4.74A current rating.  You can't use a power adapter which doesn't meet the suggested current rating, but you can use one which exceeds the suggested current rating.

The power adapter you purchased isn't listed in the link I provided you with previously.  You need to make sure that it is compatible with your laptop.

Thanks, I'll buy one asap.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

For what its worth I would never use anything but the manufacturers AC adapter and Batteries in a laptop.

I've seen problems form cheapo generic low priced versions.

Problems such as not charging to damaging the Laptop or battery. I've also seen problems caused by cheap batteries.

There is a reason the makers parts cost more.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users