Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some tips for better internals!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 superrr

superrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hey everyone, I made a post about this, but it got moved, so I'm remaking it.

Anyways, I just recently bought a new video card. I now can run Far Cry 3 on Low with no lag whatsoever. 
I would really, really, really enjoy to be able to play this game on High settings, and I have no clue to where to begin...

To start off, here are my current specs on my computer

I have Windows 8 Pro (64bit)
Motherboard is an Intel DG33BU
4GB of DDR2 RAM

Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor at @2.3ghz
My video card is a Diamond Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR3.      :hysterical: 

Yeah, I know, pretty weak. Bare with me. I have multiple questions.

First off, what are the KEY factors that come into play when running video games. eg, video card, processor, monitor?

Second, what can I buy to improve game performance, or boost it to run it on higher?

Third, people say get a new processor, can someone please tell me what gaming processor to get that's not TOO expensive that will fit in my socket?                                           (I don't know what kind of socket I have, or how to find out)

Lastly, what can I buy that WILL improve my game performance.

Please, no smart-ass remarks or insults for my noobie-esk status.

Thanks guys, I've said it before, If someone can truly help me, I WILL PAY.... no one seems to be interested in that.

Thanks again.

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2013 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Starting new threads on the same system with the same questions won't get you different answers.  Sometimes feeling get hurt in these threads, nothing intentional, facts are facts.

My previous post stands:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,review-32584-4.html

I honestly don't know how you are playing Far Cry 3 with that card. Gotta be tough.

Videocards, $200 will get you a 7850/GTX660 or 7870 w rebate.  Verify your power supply has the wattage and power connectors for whatever card you choose.

Realistically, your CPU is 3 generations behind, and it wasn't the quickest when it was released.  Chances are it will hurt your framerate.  How much depends on resolution and eyecandy settings.  Modern open world RPG games will crush that CPU, shooters, not so much.   You are about at the point of mandatory upgrade time for a gaming system.

What will boost your performance, loaded question.  Videocard is the obvious choice.  Along with that comes the need for a proper power supply.  If for some reason you are still gaming at 640X480, then a videocard becomes a bit less important as it has less pixels to push.  No one I know has a monitor that old on a gaming rig.  When you get to medium resolution (1920X1080) then a videocard starts to become really important.  If it was mine, and I had $200 to spend on it, I would get a videocard, and power supply that would work together (assuming the power supply fits the case). 

As far as the rest of the system, it is a dead end as you cannot move anything forward to a newer build.   Socket 775 is long gone.  There have not been any CPUs made for that for years.  The fastest LGA 775 CPUs were the Q9700,Q9650 or Q9550S, and there is no guarantee your board can run them. Here: http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DG33BU  It lists CPUs, and the BIOS revision needed to run a specific CPU.

Just to reiterate:  Quick fix to play games at better framerates with eye candy...New video card and a power supply if needed.

Long term: Save your money and build a new system with at least an Intel i3, 8gigs of RAM, and a decent video card. 

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users