Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant power down followed by reboot loop when trying to play video games

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kazen

Kazen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

My computer keeps powering off instantly when I'm playing video games after about 20-40 minutes. Once powered off (with no warning or 'logging off' screen, just as if someone unplugged it), it tries to turn back on, but after about 2-3 seconds just powers off again. This process repeats until I hold the power button on the tower forcing it to power off. I have checked my event logs and there does not seem to be any events associated with the issue. I have no idea where to start.

I have just formatted my hard drive and got it all back up and running, but the same thing happened again. Which leads me to believe that it might be my graphics card or PSU. I don't believe it's the graphics card because the temps are not getting high enough to warrant a shut down. It is possible that its the PSU because I bought my computer from iBuyPower and I hear they sell refurbished parts. My computer has been working fine for almost 2 years, but now it just shuts down after I start playing a game.

My Build:
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i5-2320
ASRock H61M-HVS
1 TB Hitachi ATA Hard drive
2x DDR3 4GB RAM sticks
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 ti (not overclocked)
Coonix 600W PSU

I am still new to some computer terminology and such.

So just let me know if I need to provide any more information.

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hi

:welcome:  to the bleeping computers.

Your assumptions are right. It could be either a bad PSU or thermal issue. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Clean inside the system.

Make sure the interior is free from dust and there are no dusts accumulated on the fins of CPU and GPU heat sinks. 

Also reapply thermal some good quality thermal paste to both CPU and graphic card.

:step2: Swap the PSU

Unfortunately there is no easy way to test a SMPS. Either you need to buy a new SMPS or borrow from some one.

#3 Kazen

Kazen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

I know this is probably no help or verifiable, but I have had issues with my games/system freezing.  Occasionally I would get a BSoD, but regardless I would have to just force the computer to shut down.  When it would boot back up, I would have a black screen telling me that there were issues with my C drive or my video card (I can't remember which one) and that it would try to fix it.  This happened about twice and on the second time that process actually fixed it, until it got worse by doing what it does now.  I read that the error was a result of a bad driver that disguises itself as an issue with the physical video card.  Unfortunately I do not have any more information on this issue which makes all of this information probably useless.

I will try to get my friend's PSU, which is 520 watts, and test that one out first.  Do you think 520 watts should be enough to test if it is fixed?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hi

A good quality 520 watt PSU is sufficient to test your configuration. I think the blue screen issue and power off issue are caused by different reasons. First verify the PSU by swapping it. Also reapply thermal paste on both graphic card and CPU. We can dealt with the BSOD later.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 July 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#5 Kazen

Kazen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Just an update on things.

I haven't been able to take my friend's power supply and test it yet.  However, when the powering off happened again, on boot-up it checked the C drive for consistency and went through and check a whole bunch of files and recovered files.  I wasn't able to catch anything else that was going on.  I'm just curious as to whether or not a failing power supply/graphics card could cause such events or is it a just a possible result of the computer powering off in a possibly harmful way.

I will give more updates when I have re-applied the thermal paste and check the PSU.

Also, any suggestions as to which thermal paste would be good for both the CPU and the PSU?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Hi

Windows will automatically executes check disk on startup when an improper previous shutdown is detected. This will protect the integrity of files stord in a hard drive. So they are normal in your case.

For thermal compound, i recommend Arctic Silver. It is known for quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-5-3-5g-gram-Thermal-Paste-Grease-20-uses-/390343907573

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 31 July 2013 - 04:30 AM.

#7 Kazen

Kazen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

Thank you so much for all the help so far.

I have a question about power supplies.  I noticed when searching through power supplies that there are form factors, such as ATX, which seems to be the predominant form factor.  However, I have a micro-ATX motherboard and am worried about compatibility issues.  I have my eyes on the Corsair CX600, which lists its form factor as ATX and I can't seem to find anywhere if it would be compatible with my motherboard or not.

Here is the link:

http://www.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

HI

Corsair 600 watt ATX will suit for you. Form factors are merely an indication of it's size. Your current PSU is an ATX one and another good quality ATX supply should fit in to tour cabinet without any issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users