Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Power Failure Computer Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 you

you

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

Dear forum. This is my first time visiting. I have read other posts and you all seem very helpful and I have learned more than I thought by redaing for a half hour. Now for my problem:

I own a desktop, a Fujitsu (hard drive and monitor are connected). The electric company came by one day and told us that our block would have no power for one hour. My computer was off during this time but plugged in. That night we turned on our computer and our computer name appeared on the monitor (fujitsu) as it usualy does, and the fans began. However, "Windows XP" never appeared and my computer shut down. Now this happens all the time. I am stuck.

I called Fujitsu and I explained and they said it would cost me about 600 to 700 dollars to fix. Funny they gave me that estimate and never looked at anything. Simply, I do not trust them. This is why I turn to your community for help. Is my computer finished? Is it my PSU that is gone? If my PC is toast is there a way I can get info off of it. I never backed anything up because I just got it.

Thank You for Doing This On Your FREE TIME,
You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

Hi you.
From your description of the issue and events leading up to it, I'd say your power supply is probably toast but this is something you can most often test seperately.
Did you not have your system connected through a surge protector?
Fujitsu's repair "estimate" is called CYA and frankly, I don't blame you for not trusting them. :thumbsup:
Could you post model # please?

#3 ladytrae

ladytrae

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

Try to plug into a different outlet. Still no power? Open the case and follow the PSU wires that go to the mainboard. Carefuly unplug the wires and then plug it back in. My dad had the same problem yesterday after a power outage. Hopefuly this will solve your problem.

#4 you

you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for the replies.

Dear Ladytrae,

Can you tell me what the PSU looks like? Sorry.
Thank you Ladytae.

Dear Hitsquad,

The model is FMVL18B. The full name is FMV-Deskpower L18B. I hope this is what you meant by model number. As for the surge protector question, I just have my computer hooked up to a normal outlet in my home. Thank you Hitsquad.

Thanks Again,
You

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hello you, If your computer was connected and the power switch was in the on position and some laptops have this type of switch. I prefer the ones that when the power goes off the switch deactivates and the unit will not turn on. WHen the power company turned the power back on there is a great big power surge that come thru the lines at a very high spike. It is not so much the voltage that killed your computer it is the CURRENT that did it. An example, it is sort of like getting hit in the face with a baseball bat........ The computer is going to get killed. THis power surge is from everybody that was notified by the power company leaving all of their appliances, tv's lights turned on, when the power is turned on there is a great current surge and your system got cooked. I think I have said that already. The computer manufacturer is probably correct even though they have not looked at or seen the computer and what they gave you was probably worst case scenario.

My suggestion is to take your computer to a good repair shop and have them take a look at it. It might not cost as much as the computer manufacturer told you. Remember laptops are their own special animals and when not in use it is best to pull the plug right out of the wall.

Good Luck

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

Just to give those who'd like to see what we're working on, I think it looks like this. Can't find an English site to view it.

#7 you

you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, as well as the picture. I should have done that myself-sorry. Here is a link to an English translated page. The bottom of the page has the makeup of the computer.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

I just looked online and did a google image search and found that they show a laptop and desktop for the same model. Mine is the desktop. I apologize if I wated anyones free time. Thanks again.
You

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Very nice looking computer but the problem is or was the computer does not work because it was affected by a power surge from the power company turning the power back on and it messed up the computer.

I would suggest having the computer looked at by a qualified technician, it might cost you a few bucks but in the end it will either be working or you might decide to buy a different computer. Anyway you look at it this is going to be one of these that needs a personal look at by some one, I doubt if it can be fixed over this forum.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:46 AM

Try one thing first:

When the computer is first coming on start tapping F8 to go into safe mode and then choose last known good configuration. See if it boots.

If it doesn't - shut down, then go into safe mode again.

Click start>programs>accessories>sytstem tools> system restore. Pick a date from before the power outage.

Did it work?

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 April 2006 - 08:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users