Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud Outlook?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamesrandolph

jamesrandolph

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm looking for an Outlook email/calendar program that operates in the cloud and will allow me export all of my current Outlook 2003 email folders, messages and calendar entries into the cloud email program.  I currently use Outlook to aggregate several email accounts (comcast, gmail, school) onto my home desktop.  But I want to be able to access my "home PC outlook" from anywhere.  I checked out Office Live 365 but it only seems to allow cloud storage via skydrive and the Outlook program still runs on your PC.  (By the way, when I installed the Office Live 30 day trial it disable my Outlook 2003...had to reinstall it to get everything back)  Any ideas on a cloud application that does what I want. Thanks!!! :question:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

I'm looking for an Outlook email/calendar program that operates in the cloud and will allow me export all of my current Outlook 2003 email folders, messages and calendar entries into the cloud email program.  I currently use Outlook to aggregate several email accounts (comcast, gmail, school) onto my home desktop.  But I want to be able to access my "home PC outlook" from anywhere.  I checked out Office Live 365 but it only seems to allow cloud storage via skydrive and the Outlook program still runs on your PC.  (By the way, when I installed the Office Live 30 day trial it disable my Outlook 2003...had to reinstall it to get everything back)  Any ideas on a cloud application that does what I want. Thanks!!! :question:

Gmail will allow you to "aggregate" all your accounts. You go to Settings > Accounts to setup the Gmail browser "client" to access your various email accounts. You can also set it so that when you respond to a message from another account in Gmail, it will still look like you are replying from the other account rather than from Gmail.

I am not aware of any other email service that offers the same. I don't believe Outlook.com does. I know that iCloud does not. I have no clue about Yahoo's email system.

If you have Outlook setup to access your Gmail account by way of IMAP, then you can just drag/copy any old messages/folders from other accounts in Outlook to your Gmail account in Outlook and they should then be in Gmail. You may still have some minor cleaning up to do as you need to remember that Gmail technically does not use "folders", but rather "labels".

#3 jamesrandolph

jamesrandolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks so much!!! I will delve into Gmail and see if that will work for me. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thanks so much!!! I will delve into Gmail and see if that will work for me.

Just so that you know, when you setup those "external" accounts, Gmail will automatically label messages sent to those accounts so that you can easily see which messages correspond to which accounts. It basically does this by automatically creating a label (Gmail's version of a folder) for each external account.

I will also note that if you are the paranoid type, then leaving your messages on a cloud service/on email servers like Gmail give more options for governments to access your email. For example, in the US, courts have rules that email messages left on a third party's server for longer than a certain period of time (I believe it is 6 months) have a lower level of expectation of privacy and may not require a warrant. You can get a taste from this article:

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/10/irs_may_be_reading_emails_without_a_warrant/

Of course, you may not be the paranoid, tin foil hat type.   :bananas:

#5 jamesrandolph

jamesrandolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm not wearing any tinfoil hats yet but thanks for the warning.  Having all my emails housed in Googleland makes me a bit uncomfortable but I don't have anything to hide either.  If I decide to choose a life of crime I'll come off the grid anyway!  By the way, I checked out Gmail's features and I think I'll give it a try.  It seems impressive...for a free app.  I'm surpised Microsoft hasn't put Outlook out there.  I wouldn't mind paying for it if it works well.  :rolleyes:

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm not wearing any tinfoil hats yet but thanks for the warning.  Having all my emails housed in Googleland makes me a bit uncomfortable but I don't have anything to hide either.  If I decide to choose a life of crime I'll come off the grid anyway!  By the way, I checked out Gmail's features and I think I'll give it a try.  It seems impressive...for a free app.  I'm surpised Microsoft hasn't put Outlook out there.  I wouldn't mind paying for it if it works well.  :rolleyes:

It is a difference in mentality and/or business models.

Part of it is that Microsoft seems to want you stuck in the Windows world using their stuff, presumably that you pay for (same is true of Apple).

Google, OTOH, does not care much which platform you use as they make their money from ads and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users