Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is not Genuine? ~ Popup Only...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xanderos

Xanderos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Every once in a while, I'm getting that my Copy of Windows 7 is not Genuine, in a popup. With a button asking me to go and Purchase a legitimate copy. While I save seen similar things before, the one's I have seen involve a black screen with the Windows Advantage in the lower left hand corner telling me that It's not a legitimate copy of windows (Such is NOT the case with this one, however). Just the popup appears. I have gone through every process I could, and it says my Windows is Successfully Activated, and Active, etc. Yet the popup keeps coming up.

Notes:

SFC /Scannow from an elevated Command prompt comes up with, after a few minutes: "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

A LOT of the security updates will not install, leaving me to believe that it's legit, the popup, and perhaps not a virus.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Brad Misavage

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Well...I don't believe that you would be able to even go to Windows Update and download updates...if the message is valid.

As for valid notifications that Windows is invalid...I've seen this happen with HP systems, although it's probably not restricted to that particular OEM.  You can do a Google for your system or your system manufacturer...and gauge the frequency/validity of the message.

Silly question, but I must ask...did you bother updating your AV and running a full scan?

You can easily check to see if your version is acivated,  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-can-i-tell-if-windows-7-is-activated .

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

If your copy of Windows still does not pass validation using the link hamluis provided, continue as follows:

Look for your Certificate of Authenticity (COA). There are four COA types. Most manufacturers attach this label to your computer.

Collect information on your Windows OS product. Check to see if your Windows CD has a hologram on it...find your Windows OS booklet.

With this information in hand, call Microsoft Online and Telephone Support at 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676). Phone numbers for international support can be found here.

Alternatively, you can ask for assistance at the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forums.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users