Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard swap - having some issues loading Win7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Syborg

Syborg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hello all,

I just switched out my mobo from an Asus P8H67-M-LX to a P8Z77-V LK board, the guy at the computer store said that I should still be able to run windows and install any chipset drivers etc in the windows environment. The install went well, but windows will not startup, does this mean that i have to do a fresh install of windows or is there any way around this? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have 8 gig of ram

i5 - 2400, 3.10 GHz 6 MB cache LGA 1155

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,522 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

No, you DO NOT need to do a reinstall. Only the mass storage controller drivers need to be updated.

See the following links for details:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

Look under Registry Tools for a tool called Fix HDC   (Fix Hard Drive Controller)

Description: Fix the Hard Drive Controller when replacing your motherboard on an XP system, possible replacement for Fix IDE?

Even though it specifices "XP system", it also works on Vista, and 7. Probably 8 too (I can't confirm).

Here's another write-up you will get information from:

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/fixide/  The author had it built into his tool called D7 but it has changed a lot since I last experimented with it and I'm not able to find it now. I think it's because it's under "Offline Ops". It should be called Fix IDE or Fix HDC. Both are good tools for this type of repair :)

Good luck!

Edited by thisisu, 28 July 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Well...the drivers and settings on the hard drive...are for a totally different motherboard and Windows will see that as a major change (and probably won't boot from the old hard drive.  I'd have to agree with the person who told you that a clean install would be needed, with the possible exception that the two boards involved reflect very similar or same components.

Let us know how your effort following the suggestions by thisisu go :), such a tool would be useful to many.

I'm wondering what you refer to when you say "you did the install"...my guess is that you are talking about the new motherboard.

Can you verify?

Louis

For The Record:  Microsoft deems a change of motherboard a new system...so you may not be able to activate the old install with the new board.  My experience is that they are none too viginlant about this when it comes to XP...but Win 7 is still a "cash crop" for them.

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#4 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yes I was reffering to the instalation of the motherboard, Im trying to creat a bootable CD right now and now having any luck, after reading the help files, it says that there are some issues with Vista but does not mention anything about Win7, I will let you all know of my progress...thank you.

#5 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

No luck here...thanks I even tried Hiren Boot Cd  http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd that had the same tool and it didnt show up in the boot menu.

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,522 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

No luck here...thanks I even tried Hiren Boot Cd  http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd that had the same tool and it didnt show up in the boot menu.

If using this CD, you must run the Fix_IDE / HDC_fix program while in "Mini Windows XP". :)

Edited by thisisu, 28 July 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#7 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Ok thanks, i got into the fix hdc program and its giving me errors...looking like i will have to format after all...but thanks for your help ;-)

#8 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,522 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

No problem

#9 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just one final update....alll went well with the clean install and it was no problem activating windows with the new motherboard (thank God).

You guys are the best!

Cheers

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,559 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Appreciate the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

#11 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

No, you DO NOT need to do a reinstall. Only the mass storage controller drivers need to be updated.

See the following links for details:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

Look under Registry Tools for a tool called Fix HDC   (Fix Hard Drive Controller)

Description: [/size]Fix the Hard Drive Controller when replacing your motherboard on an XP system, possible replacement for Fix IDE?[/size]

Even though it specifices "XP system", it also works on Vista, and 7. Probably 8 too (I can't confirm).

Here's another write-up you will get information from:

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/fixide/  The author had it built into his tool called D7 but it has changed a lot since I last experimented with it and I'm not able to find it now. I think it's because it's under "Offline Ops". It should be called Fix IDE or Fix HDC. Both are good tools for this type of repair :)

Good luck!

I have been looking for hours on how to resolve a 7b bsod and was able to use the fix_hdc to resolve the problem. I was hesitant to use it as it didn't say windows 7. Thanks for the post it helped me tremendously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users