Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU reaching 80c within a minute of start-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FCDFTW

FCDFTW

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yesterday my Desktop PC (Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7, basic water cool fan) started to shutdown on its own within minutes of start-up. I sarted it and went into BIOS to monitor the temp. I watched CPU temp creep from 40c to 80c in less than a minute and then it would power down shortly after hitting 80c.

The state of the PC before problem: I had not cleaned it in over a year. It experienced a sudden loss of power (breaker blew) a maybe a week before the issue and worked fine until yesterday.

The issue arrived RIGHT after I rearranged my office. I carefully moved the PC to a table and then back to the desk. I did not jostle it or drop it or anything - I only mention the moving of it because I experienced the issue on the first start-up after move.

Steps I have taken:

1. I have cleaned the internal components and fans, etc with condensed air.

2. I have fixed a kink in one of the two hoses in the colling unit. ( I used zip ties to force the kink out of the hose. - I am fairly certain that this kink was around for awhile before the overheating presented itself.)

3. I have removed and applied thermal paste, using Artic Silver 5 and the vertical line method. (I was careful to clean and tint the surface of the cooling unit and the processor)

4. After the above steps were taken the CPU was still starting at around 35-40c and jumping up to 8-c within a minute. So, I have attemped the removal and reapplication of the thermal paste with no results.

I'm wondering what steps I should take next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Verify pump is on and moving coolant.  Usually when this happens after a move it is due to a loose waterblock, but you have already pulled it and remounted it.

Its odd.  For a liquid system to heat up that fast you have to have either a dry block or absolutely no coolant flow whatsoever.  Even with no pump action you would at least get some minor convective flow depending on the loop setup.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 FCDFTW

FCDFTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

The pump seems to be on.  The lights are on and the fan is going (at about 4k rpm, i think). When I put my fingers around the tubes (they are solid black) it feels like the coolant is moving through just fine.

I removed and reapplied the thermal paste several times with no success. I guess I could be doing that part wrong. I have been cleaning each piece with paper towel and then again and again with paper towel and alcohol. Then I tint each piece using coffee filters to remove access paste. finally I make a vertical strip of paste over the centered 80% of the processor cap. When I reapply the cooler piece (waterblock?) it was taking a while to get the screws tight and just right because I had to manipulate the bracket beneath the motherboard to get each screw started. My most recent attempt I taped this bracket into place using masking tape (not touching the motherboard - just the bracket and the case itself). I feel pretty confident in the thermal pasting job.

I'm wondering what could make a CPU get that hot that fast, even with the cooler working properly, perhaps I need to switch out the water cooler?

#4 FCDFTW

FCDFTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

(Also, thank you for your prompt response - I did not have the forum set to notify me when this thread gets repiles - I will be quicker going forward.)

#5 FCDFTW

FCDFTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

The more I look around online the more I think I could be using too much paste.  I attached an image (as to scale as I could make it) of aproximately how much paste I've been using.

I've read from users around the internet that I should use "a pea-sized amount" or "a dot the size of a grain of rice". I have been using more than that as you can see from the image. But the directions say to apply a vertical line...

Attached Files

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

If you are skimcoating the water block and the CPU top, it doesn't take more compound than a large grain of rice to do the job.

I just got a feeling the block isn't mounting flush on the CPU heatspreader.  Even a sloppy job of thermal compound application (both too little or too much) will not cause temperatures like you are experiencing.  I have seen brackets flex upon tightening causing the block to sit unevenly on the CPU.  Hard to see because the block will sit flush, but will pull up a corner or side when everything is tightened down.

Anyway to put the case on its side, if you can (without compromising your reservoir), and just hold the block down with a finger, just light pressure, and boot the system to see if anything changes?  You might mount the block without snugging everything down, just snug enough to compress the thermal compound, and verify it is flat on the spreader.  Main thing is to check block mounting, and changing position might dislodge a bubble causing a possible blockage situation.  Extremely remote....but you never know.

Heck, throw another cooler (air or water) on it to rule out a compromised CPU temp diode.  You are at the point now to go outside the box for answers if your block mounting is OK.  I have extra coolers laying around, but I realize not everyone does.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 FCDFTW

FCDFTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Okay - I am going to buy a new cooler on lunch. 

When I get home tonight I will try your suggestions and if all else fails I will switch out the cooler and see what that does.

My question now is what are my options for a new cooler? (I don't know much about these things)

Can I switch it for an air cooler? Which is better? (Which is easier to maintain and lasts longer?

#8 FCDFTW

FCDFTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

You were right on the money. If I press the water cooler against the processor without screwing anything in, it kind of worked. It would get hot a lot slower and when I applied just a bit more pressure it began to cool down slowly.

Try as I might I could not evenly distribute pressure with the screws tightened (even tightening them the same amount and switching screws crossways...

I pulled it off and threw on a new 30 dollar air colling heatsink. The PC booted up and idled at 20c and I haven't had a problem since.

Thank you for your help.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thank you for your help.

Not a problem.  I guess right sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users