Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen when switching users

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hello all

Recently my desktop, a Gateway FX6710 with a Radeon HD 4800 Graphics card (card is fairly new, about a year)  has an issue of the screen going black for several seconds when switching Users. My graphics drivers ARE up to date. I am running Win 7 64 bit. This has just started happening recently (about a week I guess)

If someone can give me some trouble shooting steps I would much appreciate it

I have 8 gigs of ram installed

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Try running System File Checker ( sfc /scannow ) it will try to replace any missing or corrupt files. Open an elevated command prompt Run as Administrator copy and paste the above in the command prompt windoe and hit enter and allow it to run.

Regards....................

Edited by sikntired, 28 July 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Try running System File Checker ( sfc /scannow ) it will try to replace any missing or corrupt files.

Regards....................

I do that now   Thanks

Tom

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Didnt find anything      "did not find any integrity violations"

Also started in Safe Mode and there was still a delay although not as long switching between users. In Safe Mode screen was black for about 5 seconds when switching from one user to another :(

Edited by tpm, 28 July 2013 - 01:13 PM.

Tom

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Sounds like it may be a third party service. Did you make any changes or install any new programs prior to issue ?

You could also create another User Account.

1) create new user account
2) back up your stuff (not necessary but just in case, also if you have bookmarks, passwords, etc.)
3) log of account that is giving you trouble (don't switch users!!!!!!)
4) log on to new account
5) go to start> control panel> user accounts and family safety> add or remove user accounts> select the account you are having problems with> delete account> keep files> ok...and wait....

all of your files will be backed up on the desktop of your new account in a folder called <insert old account name here>.

Regards.................

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

It appears all the user accounts are acting similar. I have 5 user accounts and switching between any of them causes the exact same thing. I also did a system restore going a week back that had a few MS Updates plus a Leap Motion installer. NO changes

I will restart again and this time open a different user account just to verify it's not mine at issue

As I thought ALL of the account names are acting similar. Going between Users the monitor actually loses signal like it is in sleep mode

Edited by tpm, 28 July 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Tom

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Additionally I tried doing a "Clean Boot" but had difficulty in getting to stop the services. Had an error message pop up stating "to many files in use by 16 bit programs. Increase value of the FILES command in your config.sys file" or something similar to that

When I first opened MSCONFIG the Startup tab was in "selective mode". When I changed it to "normal startup" I had to use the Win 7 CD to get it to boot

Very frustrating!!

Tom

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yeah it is frustrating.

A small pause is normal to allow video display driver to engage. But 5 to 10 seconds is not normal. You mentioned that the Graphics Card is about a year old. That's a possibility. Try unplugging the Monitor Cable going into Video Card and plugging back in.

The reason for trying in Safemode was to try ti see if it functioned okay. Then it would tell us that the OS is the problem ( driver, software, etc )

Hopefully someone can "chime in" with a resolution.  In the meantime I'll keep researching.

Regards........................

#9 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thank you for replying. Ill reconnect it tomorrow morning and report back. Card is less than a year old, maybe 7-8 months if I remember right. Will double check that also
Tom

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Forgot to mention that from what I read a 64 bit OS cannot run a 16 bit program. That is really puzzling ! Have to get that resolved.

Try doing a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  again.

Regards.................

#11 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Just to update. I found that in my "Services" tab the entry "Rapport Management Services" was preventing the Clean boot. I deleted the software through Uninstall and it seems to have helped. This software is for banking online safety so I'm not sure if I should reinstall it or not

There is still a short black screen between switching users BUT the monitor isnt going to sleep mode. I can't remeber if this may be a normal occurance now

It's about a 4 second black screen between switching users BUT the monitor no longer goes into power saver mode. Normal??

Edited by tpm, 29 July 2013 - 08:29 AM.

Tom

#12 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Glad to hear that the system is acting somewhat normal.

When I switch between user accounts there is a slight pause for a second or two and have found this to be normal for my system. As for the online banking software that is your choice. Of course banking online should be done with all due diligence and all possible security measures.

I personally do not like any program that interferes or causes conflict and tend to look for a solution by obtaining as much info as I can and seeing how much of my system it utilizes.

You could try it both ways and see how your system performs. Also you could maybe improve performance by defragmenting HD.

Regards......................

Edited by sikntired, 29 July 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#13 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Glad to hear that the system is acting somewhat normal.

When I switch between user accounts there is a slight pause for a second or two and have found this to be normal for my system. As for the online banking software that is your choice. Of course banking online should be done with all due diligence and all possible security measures.

I personally do not like any program that interferes or causes conflict and tend to look for a solution by obtaining as much info as I can and seeing how much of my system it utilizes.

You could try it both ways and see how your system performs. Also you could maybe improve performance by defragmenting HD.

I installed a 512gig SSD not too long ago so defrag is not an option.

Some background, The system came with that wonderful Vista nightmare and had then upgraded to Win 7 when it came out. I can't remember if I did a clean install or not. I then transferred my old drive onto the new SSD a couple of months ago.

I think I will do a clean reinstall but just didn't know if there were some hardware checks I should do first plus I want to find the best method of saving my drivers that will be needed for the reinstall

Thanks for your input

Tom

Tom

#14 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

This will more than likely answer all for you.

With regards to drivers : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-clean-install/e52f0710-8cb7-494d-b6b8-a160816c7be3

This might be of help as well : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271488-32-prepare-win7-install

Hope this helps

Edited by sikntired, 29 July 2013 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users