Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seriously strange behavior Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 unworthy

unworthy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

This is so weird. My windows 7 has been doing the strangest things. The first thing I noticed was when I created a folder and it wouldn't show up unless I exited the current folder and reopened it. Sometimes I can't click on anything. For example, I right click to copy and it just flashes then closes. Logging off and back on temporarily solves the problem but then it starts happening again after a while.

This type of thing happens a lot. When it wont let me click on anything, I press the windows key to open the start menu, then everything works okay for a few seconds. When i use ctrl for anything like cntrl + f to find something, the start menu opens.

At first I thought w7 was doing it on purpose because my copy of windows has detected itself as not genuine (even though it is - this is a known issue with microsoft) But there are other unexplainable behaviors. For example my bios screen has changed from a graphic version to a text version, and I really have no way of explaining that. Another seriously strange thing is that it was occasionally failing at the boot screen and restarting itself over and over without booting. Installing a copy of linux on another partition and reinstalling the bootloader temporarily fixed this problem until it happened again, but fortunately it hasn't happened in a while. I've heard there are boot-sector viruses so that concerns me. I really am in need of some help from a pro and I'd appeciate it a lot.

Avira anti-virus free version isn't picking up anything.

Is my computer possessed or do I have some obscure virus?

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

:welcome:

Let's look for malware and other unwanted applications:

:step1: Install and run MBAM

:step2:  Running TDSSKiller to obtain log

Note: Don't cure or delete a threat, but choose skip for all instead.

• Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop
  • Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters

tds2.jpg

• In the Additional options: Check Detect TDLFS file system
  • Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run

tds4-1.jpg

• Choose for all threats to Skip for all of them.
  • Click Continue
  • Please post the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt found in your root directory (typically c:\)

===================================================

:step3:  Please download and scan with the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

Be sure to print out and read the instructions provided in:

• Double-click the setup file (i.e. setup_11.0.0.1245x11_2012_18-23_13_03.exe) to install the utility.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • The required files will be exracted and installed...be patient as this will take a few minutes.
  • At the 'Welcome!' windows, check the box next to I accept the license agreement and click Start.
  • A new window will open with two tabs (Automatic Scan and Manual Disinfection) and two icons on the right.
  • For a more comprehensive (but longer) scan, click the icon which looks like a round gear, Click Scan Scope and place a check mark in the box next to Local Disk (C:).
    System memory, Hidden Startups and Disk boot sector boxes should already be checked by default.
  • Click on the 'Automatic Scan' tab, and click the green Start scanning button to begin.
  • The time to finish and percentage completed will show as the scan is in progress...Important! Do not use the computer during the scan.
  • If no threats are detected, exit the program.
  • If threats are detected, you will be prompted for action: Disinfect, Delete if disinfection failes.
  • Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • After the scan finishes, if any threats are left unneutralized in the Scan window (Red exclamation point), click the Neutralize allbutton.
  • Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • If advised that a special disinfection procedure is required which demands system reboot, click the Ok button to close the window.
  • When finished, click the rectanular notepad icon > select Detected threats > click on to highlight and click the Save icon to save the results as a text file...name it avptool.txt).
  • Copy and paste the report results of avptool.txt with any threats detected in your next reply.
  • When finished, follow these instructions on How to uninstall Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.

:step4: ESET Online Scanner

==================

Note: If your AV is blocking Eset online scanner, please temporarily disable your AV.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan This process may may take several hours, that is normal.

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and » UNCHECK "Remove found threats" <== Important
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply. (If no malware was found you will not be presented with a log).
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

===================================================

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users