Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much to repair?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EmmahhCee

EmmahhCee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Unfortunately I'm not really techy when it comes to actual hardware so I know I need professional help to fix my laptop.

If you could list the prices seperately for each problem that would be really useful. I'm not sure on the exact model of my laptop but I know it's a Samsung and it operates Windows 8. I live in the UK so if you could post help relevant to that it would be nice. 

My laptop charging port has some cracks in it, the small inner circle has part of it cracked and it looks like it's ready to fall off. The outer circle has small cracks to it. I know this needs to be fixed because it's not always allowing my charger to properly plug in. The charger falls out or I have to move it about to get it to charge.

The AC adapter that's part of my laptop charger gets extremely hot. It's grounded (has a fuse) and I'm pretty sure it's done that since I first got my laptop. Does this need to be fixed, and is it a potential fire hazard? I know the fuse helps protect against electricity faults etc but I'm worried it could be a potential fire hazard? It sometimes burns to touch the AC adapter box.

My laptop is xtremely slow and constantly crashes EVEN WHEN IT'S AT FULL CHARGE, unless I'm charging it. The only known fix I have just now is to charge it and when you look at the first problem you can see why I'd be worried to constantly have it on charge. This happens no matter how few or how many programs I'm running. It just constantly stops, freezes or crashes the program I'm on.

Unfortunately I need my laptop fixed quite quickly as I'm starting my first year of college at the end of August. I could maybe at best convince my mum to let me get a new laptop at Christmas time but obviously that would be no good for college. I am getting my own bank account though with roughly £1,500 in it. Would this be enough to deal with all these issues or am I better just getting a new laptop?

If you need more specifics or laptop specifics if you can point out where to find like all this information on my laptop I'd be able to provide it to you. I can try and get some pictures of the laptop charging port if that's necessary?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Is your laptop still under warranty? Since it's a Windows 8 system it may be since that OS is fairly new. If it is under warranty call Samsung and see if it can be replaced or repaired at no charge. Check with Samsung before you sink any money into repairs.

They may want you to send it to them which would mean you would be without a laptop for a while unless you have a spare you can use. If they will replace or repair you still have a few weeks before you start college and could get it back by then.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 July 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Usually when you break /crack a power socket it is blamed on the user, so be warned.

Socket replacement usually runs ~$120 US, with $3-15 of that being the cost of a replacement socket that must be soldered on the motherboard. 

More of the newer laptops have the power socket as a standalone part attached to the motherboard by jumpers, or the socket is attached to a daughtercard attached to the motherboard by jumpers.  Long story short, no soldering involved, but a higher parts cost, $15-35 US.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users