Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weired Bios Beeps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smudger1767

smudger1767

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

I have an MSI P67A-GD65 (REV B3) 
When I boot the machine sometimes I get 1 long and 2 short beeps, or when I change my keyboard (USB or PS2) I get 1 long  and sometimes 3 or 4 beeps.

I have tried booting with nothing in the USB ports and just my graphichs card (PCI Express Lane 1), then I get 1 long 2 short, which I thought was my graphics card, so I put it into the other PCI express slot and stil 1long 2 short.
I have also checked my ram with "Windows Memory Diagnostic". No faults were found.
So I don't think its my graphis or memory as the beep code is different only when I change the keyboard or mouse.
Also what I have noticed sometimes its Ctrl+M and sometimes its Del to get into the bios.

Its a clean install with all the drivers upfated through Live 5.
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated, as I don't normally use MSI.
I have loked up the beep codes on the AMI site http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm.

MY PC Parts:

Windows 8 x64bit
OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-256G 256 GB

4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9  -  1600MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.6-1.65v VDIMM.

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail  -  Quad Core, 3.30GHz clock speed, 32nm Process, 6MB L3 Cache, Dual Channel DDR3 Controller.

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard.

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler  -  The Thermaltake Frio has excellent cooling capacity supporting 220W with 0.5mm aluminum fins

Regards
Smudger1767

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

I don't think old school beep codes apply to newer boards.  From what I gather the beeps, number of beeps, coincide with the number of USB devices present.

Any actual problems, or just the beeps?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 smudger1767

smudger1767
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply, and after eventually getting a response from MSI I find that you are correct. A bit of a silly feature I.M.O.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users