Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated bsod in win 8 since 2 days

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mysel

mysel

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

hi guys

i have a dell inspiron n 5010 with i3 and 8 giga of ram.

i have upgraded it to win8 from win7 few months ago

2/3 days ago i ve got to reboot the pc(and i ve seen there was some updates from win installed during the reboot),since then the pc is keeping giving me repeated bsod in loop,the first bsod is showing acpi.sys is corrupted or missing with error 0xc0000221.

it doesnt let me go to safe mode while trying safe mode with networking it s giving me another bsod with memory management and rebooting again with another bsod and so on

anyone have a solution for this?

thanks

it s seems the automatic repair doesnt work ,as after another reboot it s coming back to acpi.sys error

any help would be welcome

Edited by mysel, 27 July 2013 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lewey

Lewey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

Did you do an in place upgrade or did you do a clean install?

I know you mentioned safe mode with networking, can you get into regular safe mode (no networking)?  I know I had a similar issue a while back and it ended up actually being a video driver.  

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Run Dell diagnostics

Inspirion 5010 is famous for hard drive failures. Please follow the below steps to run Dell hardware diagnostics which will test HDD , RAM and other components.

1. Press F12 during power on to bring the boot menu.

2. Select Diagnostics from the menu and it will start immediately.

3. If the short scan can't find any errors, you may be asked for permission to run a full scan. Please do so.

Report any error messages it shows.

:step2: Use system restore

If the test came clean, try restoring the system to a date prior to the update.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4692-system-restore-how-do-windows-8-a.html

You can access "system restore" either from the "advanced startup menu" or from the installation DVD.  

#4 mysel

mysel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

hi

while doing diagnostics there is error code 0146

hard drive 1  self test log contains previous errors

then while continuing test it s giving me error code 0123 for memory integrity test failed

i ve tried a system restore once but bsod came while it was in process so it didn t worked but now i can t access to the desktop as the loop is never giving me access to the system or the desktop

Edited by mysel, 28 July 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

Hi

You are facing multiple issues. Error code 0146 means there had a hard drive issue in the past and 0123 means one of your memory module is faulty.

Please follow the below steps. It involves physically removing memory sticks. Touch your hand in an unpainted metal part of something to discharge static electricity before removing RAM.

Here is the official service manual of your laptopftp://ftp.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15-intel-n5010_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Memory modules can be easily accessed by removing a small cover in the bottom part. Read the manual, especially page 31 to know how to properly remove and refit a laptop memory module.

:step1: Test your RAM thoroughly using Memtest86+

A. Unplug all but one module and run the free tool Memtest86+ for 7 or more passes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

You can stop the test either when seven passes complete or there are errors detected during the test. Following video will give you a better idea about the test.

B.  After verifying whether first module is faulty or not, unplug it and plug the second module to the same slot. Repeat the test. If you are getting errors on only one module,     that one will be faulty. Keep the faulty module unplugged and try to boot the system.

:step2: Run hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic test.

Please verify the health condition of your hard drive by running Manufacturer's diagnostic tools (bootable CD )

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

A.  For Western Digital drives, use WD lifeguard diagnostics :  http://www.box.net/shared/gl0fifqgj4

Run "extended test" to verify full sectors.

6j3hhf.jpg

B. For Hitachi drives, use Drive Fitness Test :

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/dft32_v416_b00.iso

Run advanced test with it.

2300116852_47eb08853e.jpg

C. For SeagateSamsungMaxtore and other brands, use Seatool for DOS :

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

Run "long test" with it.

seatools-2.png 

I recommend using Imgburn to write ISO to blank CD.

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 28 July 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi

If you are unfamiliar with removing memory sticks, here is a nice video.

#7 mysel

mysel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

hi i ve removed it and i m in pass 1 of the first stick,it seems it ll take years to do the two of them it s very slow

one pass is not enough to confirm this?

i want to skip the 6 others steps and test the hdd

what are u suggest

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hi

Yes, it will take a long time to complete. Instead of running Memtest86+, you can try to boot with only one module plugged at a time. That is remove either one of the module and try to boot. If failed, try the second module. If you found one particular module to be faulty, run Memtest on it to confirm. 

#9 mysel

mysel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

hi

one of the two is giving the error while booting and with memtest it s full of errors ,full of red

so now what is the next steps?

i ve bought the two memory less then 6 months ago

Edited by mysel, 28 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi

If they are only 6 months old, they will be still under warranty. You can replace it under RMA (Return Material Authorization ). Before send the faulty module for replacement, make sure the other module is fine. Boot the system with only the good module plugged in and play some high definition movies. If the system is stable, that module will be fine.

#11 mysel

mysel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

hi i want to be sure abt the hdd

is there anyway to use the usb stick to run the diag tools , i have a wd hdd?

thanks

#12 mysel

mysel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

i have try to run one wd diag soft inside windows:

the soft has stopped with error 8:too much bad sectors

what should i do to solve this?

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi

As i said earlier in my previous post, you are facing multiple hardware failures. You can replace the memory modules under warranty but you need to buy a new hard disk. Bad sectors in the surface are not repairable. They are physical damage happens to the storage area of the hard drive. Even one bad sector means the drive need to be replaced. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp

Edit :

Backup your data immediately. 

#14 mysel

mysel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

hi

i ve used hdd regenerator to repair most of the errors,while testing again with wd lifegaurd diagnostics for windows,it showing now repairable errors,but there is a message also wich is advising to backup because the repaired sectors will erase anything on it.

is there any other solution to not loose data?

thanks

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Hi

Trying to repair bad sectors on a hard drive is waste of time (personal experience ). If you are some how managed to repair all the bad sectors, in a near future bad sectors will reappear again. You will ended up in losing all the data. Since you can access the data now, backup them to an external medium (USB HDD, DVD etc ) and replace the drive with a new one.  That is what i recommends for your own good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users