Did you check to see if the Services (services.msc) are started and set to automatic?
> Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and double-click on the Services
option. If prompted by the User Access Control, click the Continue
Windows Servies will open:
- Click the Extended tab at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
- In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find find Windows Defender.
- Double-click on the name of the service to open the Properties page.
- In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Start" button.
- From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Automatic".
- Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.
Repeat the steps for avast.How to Start or Disable Services in Windows Vista
<- includes screenshots
Another option with avast is to reinstall it.
Although Online Armor Free if a good third party firewall...I see no reason not to use Windows built-in Firewall. Most concerns you may have heard or read about the Windows Firewall were in the XP operating system so many users were advised to use third-party alternatives. Microsoft significantly improved the firewall
to address these concerns in Vista
and then added more improvements in Windows 7/8
. See Choosing a Firewall