Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spoream

Spoream

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

My Acer AL716 monitor is taking a long time just to turn on, When I boot up the pc in the mourning the monitor would take at least five minites just to turn on. In the mean time the monitor light would be flashing green I've tried unpluging and reconnecting but that doesn't help. Is my monitor dying? :scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

It might be, but it could equally well be a video driver problem.

The easiest way to test it is to plug it into a different computer. If it shows the same habits connected to a different computer, it is almost certainly the monitor. If it works like it was brand new, then the problem is almost certainly with your video card and its drivers.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Spoream

Spoream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Chris but I don't have another Computer nor do I have enough money for one. Should I try updating my video Drivers? :question: :question:

#4 Spoream

Spoream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

Sorry for double-posting. I found the problem it is the compacitors inside the monitor they need replacing. Anyway thanks for the help! :hello:

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Glad you found the solution, but I didn't mean BUY another computer - I meant connect it to a different computer !  Even if it meant lugging it round to a friend's house.

Two points. The capacitors you are talking about are what are called electrolytic capacitors and they are polarity conscious. You will see that they are marked with + and - poles. Make sure you put the new ones in the correct way round if you are doing it yourself. If you put them in the wrong way round it makes a lovely bang and their lifespan can be measured in milliseconds - I know, I've done it !

The other, once you are up and running again it can do no harm to check for updates for your video drivers.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Spoream

Spoream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

Glad you found the solution, but I didn't mean BUY another computer - I meant connect it to a different computer !  Even if it meant lugging it round to a friend's house.

Two points. The capacitors you are talking about are what are called electrolytic capacitors and they are polarity conscious. You will see that they are marked with + and - poles. Make sure you put the new ones in the correct way round if you are doing it yourself. If you put them in the wrong way round it makes a lovely bang and their lifespan can be measured in milliseconds - I know, I've done it !

The other, once you are up and running again it can do no harm to check for updates for your video drivers.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks again Chris. I would bring it around to my friends place but their pc is very old and slow, I don't think I'll be able to open the moniter itself (as I am 13 and I don't think my grandma will let me) also we don't have the right tools or new capcitors.

I know I might be the youngest on this forum but who cares?. I'm very good at IT for my age, anyways I think we can get used to the problem as it takes only about 5-10 minutes to turn on, I'll jus t like to thank you for the suggestions anyway

Troy Ferguson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users