Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is upgrade possible? Worth it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 meemurs

meemurs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

My wife has a desktop Dell Intel pentium 4 processor@2.53GHz,128MB DDR SDRAM @333MHz and I added 256MB to this, and it has a 40GB HD ATA/100 Value hard drive. It runs very slow, I have run the tango on it many times. I have to wait for EBay pages to load, sometime more than a minute. I get a lot of "(Not Responding)" messages in my Titlebar. I can hear the computer chugging and chugging along and blinking fast then slow then not at all when I get these messages. I run Photoshop and have a printer hooked up. In a quick diagnosis, can you tell me if it is worth trying to upgrade this ? Is it just slow because it is early technology? Should I expect it to run faster or are you not suprised? Is an upgrade possible and if so is it expensive and worth it? I do not know if it is even possible to upgrade it and if I did what would be the max it could go?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

This is an OPINION, not GOSPEL !

Your principal limiting factors here are (1) not enough RAM, and (2) a tiny hard drive. According to my local component supplier (my favourite charity), 2x1 Gb RAM sticks will cost you £UK 24, and a 1TB SATA hard dive (ie 1000Gb) will cost you £UK 61, today's prices.

You say you use Photoshop, which means you are playing with images and graphics - I admire your patience !  And how you get an operating system, Photoshop and a collection of images onto a 40 Gb drive impresses me. Scattered around my system I have about 250 Gb of photos alone. Don't worry - they are backed up, honest !

So, you can improve your system's performance and capacity for less than £UK 100. The only fly in this ointment is that IDE hard drives are becoming hard to find, and you almost certainly have IDE connectors on your computer. You can get IDE / SATA converters, but the only time I tried one I wasn't impressed with the results. However - I did say this was opinion - I think you would be better biting the bullet and buying a new machine, and if it is a desktop, try and get Win 7 rather than 8, the general opinion is it works better on desktops. Another small factor here is that support for XP ends next April.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hello,

The suggestion of Chris is professional. So, you can take this advice. All I want to say is that you should keep your system drive is big enough, so as not to influence on the running speed of computer. Also, photoshop or other big apps will occupy too much RAM, so, if there are not enough space, the running speed of computer will definitely slow. Thus, it is better to enlarge your RAM, and I also advise you to use Win 7.

Good luck!

Judith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users