Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardrive isnt recognized???

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 idfk101

idfk101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

i have a 250 gb western digital hardrive and when i try to boot with that hardrive alone it shows "select proper boot device and reboot" so ive been told in needs an os but i dont have one so is there a way to download one and boot from a usb or something??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

The only legal downloads for Windows OSs is if you have a Technet or MSDN subsciption $$$.

You could put Linux on it. It's free. Ubuntu is highly popular.

Edited by .X., 27 July 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#3 idfk101

idfk101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Do you have a suggestion to maybe a not so legal download? Would something like a torrent from pirate bay work?

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

no comment

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Please read the forum rules, in particular pay attention to the following excerpt:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#6 idfk101

idfk101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

Ok let mw try this a different way. If i have a legally purchased os on a usb is it possible to boot from the usb and copy the files to the hardrive?

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

You can't just copy it. You must install it from USB.

#8 idfk101

idfk101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Ok then how do i get it on the hardrive because the hardrive isnt recognized?? If i boot from usb and then run the setup would that put it on my hardrive?

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

What is the exact make and model of the PC? It it's a home built, what is the exact make and model of the motherboard?

How did you put the OS on the USB. What bootable USB program did you use?

Take a screenshot of the contents of the USB and attach it to your next reply.

How to take a screenshot

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

You may have a legal copy of the operating system, but do you have a product code for it?

If you don't, you will not be able to activate this installation.  You will have 30 days to activate this installation, after that XP will request that you activate this copy, if you click on Don't Activate Now it will automatically log you off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ok then how do i get it on the hardrive because the hardrive isnt recognized?? If i boot from usb and then run the setup would that put it on my hardrive?

Depending on the age of this computer you may be able to boot from the flash drive in order to make the installation.  But until I'm convinced that you have a legal copy and product code I will not provide any further assistance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users